2016-08-05 - Winnipeg, Manitoba

Re: 2016-08-05 - Winnipeg, Manitoba

Postby Dev » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:19 am

3rd and final show of the tour. It was a good one.
User avatar
Dev
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:40 am

Re: 2016-08-05 - Winnipeg, Manitoba

Postby thechubb44 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:09 am

Which song was it where Gord told the getting fired story. My wife decided to come talk. Small stuff i know. I've been scouring the scope and can't find it.
thechubb44
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:10 pm

Re: 2016-08-05 - Winnipeg, Manitoba

Postby stevewiebemusic » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:13 pm

The next morning, still buzzed. Too drained to be eloquent. The show was a perfect crescendo to an almost 30 year love affair. Gordie and the band were in top form. Opening with 100th Meridian, I told a friend that's like starting a fight with flying roundhouse kick to the face. Unreal. I didn't cry. I was too happy. This is not a eulogy, this is a celebration. I got my Pigeon Camera, Escape Is At Hand, closing with Ahead By A Century was bliss. The fans were unreal loud.

Also, got to meet Travis Hamonic of the New York Islanders, my favourite team! He was waiting in the merch line, and actually yelled at me "Hey, I have the same jersey!" He's a massive fan!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
stevewiebemusic
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:42 am

Re: 2016-08-05 - Winnipeg, Manitoba

Postby Scotty12 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:18 pm

stevewiebemusic wrote:The next morning, still buzzed. Too drained to be eloquent. The show was a perfect crescendo to an almost 30 year love affair. Gordie and the band were in top form. Opening with 100th Meridian, I told a friend that's like starting a fight with flying roundhouse kick to the face. Unreal. I didn't cry. I was too happy. This is not a eulogy, this is a celebration. I got my Pigeon Camera, Escape Is At Hand, closing with Ahead By A Century was bliss. The fans were unreal loud.

Also, got to meet Travis Hamonic of the New York Islanders, my favourite team! He was waiting in the merch line, and actually yelled at me "Hey, I have the same jersey!" He's a massive fan!


Great set lastnight. That is an awesome moment with Hamonic yelling over at you
Scotty12
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:42 am
Location: Kingston ON

Re: 2016-08-05 - Winnipeg, Manitoba

Postby Moosehead » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:42 pm

re: the extra RA song...
(Gems) in parentheses on the setlist. Like, just throw it in there and it doesn't really count :) https://twitter.com/thehipdotcom/status ... 6070992896
Moosehead
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie
 
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:13 am

Re: 2016-08-05 - Winnipeg, Manitoba

Postby ewallman » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:15 am

My 17th and final Hip show and it was memorable and epic. Went with my wife, daughter and son-in-law. My wife has never been but my daughter and I have been together for about 10 shows so a great connection we share thanks to the band.

The half hour before the show is excruciating! It is the slowest 30 minutes of your life. And then the buzz really begins when Robbie's announcement comes on. The place was electric and on fire when the band hit the stage. I can see why they are choosing tom always open with one of the first 3 albums - I think they realize there are fans who associate most with that older raw sound and well, everyone there knows those songs. So they open with FC, 100th for the first song and the place erupted. Pigeon was a treat and Wheat Kings had my daughter weeping.

The new stuff sounded great, and when a song like Tired as F*ck is played it of course takes on a new meaning. I will give the fans huge props here, we all know that 'normally' some of the fans kind of tune out the newer songs but we had 8 from the last two albums and even if they did not know the songs, the crowd cheered and caught the groove. From Plan A, Transformation and Lookahead I thought were outstanding. And when Gordie sang "cus great trees do fall', that one brought a teary eyed episode.

Clearly the band loves playing PP as it has been in every set list - Escape and Membership were treats to hear again as well. Poets and Bobcaygeon were simply huge sing alongs!

5 songs from RA - Long Time Running had the whole crowd crying, man those slow songs were tough tonight.

2 encores were outstanding. The band for the whole night kicked ass. And several times Paul or Gord S were talking to Gordie - likely seeing how he was doing. Gordie of course did what he could and the crowd appreciated every damn second. The guy has a brain tumor and is still one of the best front man in rock, fucking amazing!

Lady behind us told my daughter after the show - wow, you and your dad really have a connection with this band. That was nice to hear!

Epic show, lucky we could get tickets and our seats were stage right and close, have enjoyed every Hip show i have been to but this show with the fully engaged and energized crowd was something else. The band members were constantly acknowledging the fans as well.

Great show, great set list and i hope the rest of the shows are the same for those that are going.
A Hip set list is like a box of chocolates..you never know which one you're going to get.
ewallman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:01 am

Re: 2016-08-05 - Winnipeg, Manitoba

Postby Scotty12 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:02 am

Moosehead wrote:re: the extra RA song...
(Gems) in parentheses on the setlist. Like, just throw it in there and it doesn't really count :) https://twitter.com/thehipdotcom/status ... 6070992896



Perhaps it's to give Gord a longer break if required/desired
Scotty12
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:42 am
Location: Kingston ON

Re: 2016-08-05 - Winnipeg, Manitoba

Postby ewallman » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:03 pm

Forgot to mention, i was talking to a guy at the show who had a shirt he and some buddies had made up some time back "Killer Whale Tank"..classic
A Hip set list is like a box of chocolates..you never know which one you're going to get.
ewallman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:01 am

Re: 2016-08-05 - Winnipeg, Manitoba

Postby Rocker_Matt » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:29 am

Random ramblings about the show:

I've seen The Hip 9 times, and this was probably the best one I've seen.

I couldn't believe the setlist. Out of 26 songs there were 9 songs I was hearing live for the first time, which seems remarkable. "Twist My Arm" was a song I had been chasing forever, so it was great to hear that finally.

I caught 4 shows on the Now For Plan A tour, so I was hoping for another album to take that place, but when I heard the first chords to "The Lookahead", I changed my mind completely. Knowing what the song is about and hearing it now takes on a whole different meaning. One of the highlights of the show for me.

The saddest moment of the night for me were when Gord first came out. It felt surreal to think about someone so much over the last two months, and know that every person in the country is thinking about him too, and to have him standing there right in front of you. That quickly changed though and a permanent grin was on my face the rest of the night.

"Ahead By A Century" was a perfect closer. Not too mellow, not too upbeat. Just perfect.

Gahh, I still can't stop thinking about how perfect the evening was.
9 Hip shows in 6 different venues

2007-01-20 - Winnipeg - MTS Centre
2009-09-10 - Winnipeg - Centennial Concert Hall
2011-07-07 - Winnipeg - Shaw Park
2012-12-01 - Fargo - Fargo Theatre
2013-01-26 - Winnipeg - MTS Centre
2013-01-28 - Brandon - Keystone Centre
2013-09-06 - Moose Jaw - Mosaic Place
2015-02-14 - Winnipeg - MTS Centre
2016-08-05 - Winnipeg - MTS Centre
User avatar
Rocker_Matt
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:57 pm

Re: 2016-08-05 - Winnipeg, Manitoba

Postby ewallman » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:49 pm

Another note i just remembered: I started 'guessing' the next song before it started and after a few perfect guesses my daughter noticed that I could see one of the teleprompters..lol
A Hip set list is like a box of chocolates..you never know which one you're going to get.
ewallman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:01 am

Re: 2016-08-05 - Winnipeg, Manitoba

Postby ewallman » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:51 pm

Rocker_Matt wrote:Random ramblings about the show:

I've seen The Hip 9 times, and this was probably the best one I've seen.

I couldn't believe the setlist. Out of 26 songs there were 9 songs I was hearing live for the first time, which seems remarkable. "Twist My Arm" was a song I had been chasing forever, so it was great to hear that finally.

I caught 4 shows on the Now For Plan A tour, so I was hoping for another album to take that place, but when I heard the first chords to "The Lookahead", I changed my mind completely. Knowing what the song is about and hearing it now takes on a whole different meaning. One of the highlights of the show for me.

The saddest moment of the night for me were when Gord first came out. It felt surreal to think about someone so much over the last two months, and know that every person in the country is thinking about him too, and to have him standing there right in front of you. That quickly changed though and a permanent grin was on my face the rest of the night.

"Ahead By A Century" was a perfect closer. Not too mellow, not too upbeat. Just perfect.

Gahh, I still can't stop thinking about how perfect the evening was.


Wow, nice. One of tyhe best things about the Hip is how deep they go into their albums, but 9 new songs after 9 other shows - what a perfect scenario for you.
A Hip set list is like a box of chocolates..you never know which one you're going to get.
ewallman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:01 am

Re: 2016-08-05 - Winnipeg, Manitoba

Postby Trae1978 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:33 pm

A few pics from my seat. Wish I took a lot more than I did but I was too caught up in the moment. It was almost surreal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
November 23, 2004 - MTS Centre
January 20, 2007 - MTS Centre
September 7, 2009 - Centennial Concert Hall
September 9, 2009 - Centennial Concert Hall
September 10, 2009 - Centennial Concert Hall
September 11, 2009 - Centennial Concert Hall
July 7, 2011 - Shaw Park
January 26, 2013 - MTS Centre
February 14, 2015 - MTS Centre
August 5, 2016 - MTS Centre
Trae1978
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 12:02 am

Re: 2016-08-05 - Winnipeg, Manitoba

Postby sonichka11 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:57 am

I may have an audio of the winnipeg show to share. If someone can tell me exactly where I should post it or who to contact to do so that would be great. I know the band okay'd recording this tour so I'm assuming it's okay to discuss it here!

I'm still reeling from the show!!!
sonichka11
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:52 am

Previous

Return to 2016 Show Reviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest