Hipbase Bootleg show of the Month: June 2018

Looking to set up a trade, tree or a B&P?

Moderator: Moderators

sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Hipbase Bootleg show of the Month: June 2018

Post by sean.bonner »

Summer On !

With a new month comes a new bootleg for us to dissect. We are moving chronologically through the albums currently, and June 2018 brings us to 2004's In Between Evolution.

Scotty12 made this selection.

2004-09-12 - Kingston, Ontario - Royal Military College / Across The Causeway

MP3s

http://hipfans.com/SeansVault/2004-09-1 ... ntario.zip

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw93T ... lh5bXMyTzg

FLAC

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw93T ... 0YtZEVTQmM
The Tragically Hip

Sept 12 2004

"Across The Causeway"

Royal Military Colledge
Kingston, Ontario

equipment:
low cost csc > sp-spsb-6 > (mic in) mz-r700 @ lp2

analogue Transfer:
mz-nh700 > audigy ls > soundforge 6 > cd wave > flacfrontend (level 8) > flac

taped by: orestesluna

Setlist:

01 Vaccination Scars
02 Grace, Too
03 Summer Is Killing Us
04 Poets
05 It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
06 Josephine
07 Courage
08 It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
09 Bobcaygeon
10 Nautcal Disaster
11 You Are Everywhere
12 Fireworks
13 The Hundredth Meridian
14 Springtime In vienna
15 Meanstreak
16 New Orleans Is Sinking
17 Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
18 My Music @ Work

1st encore
19 Heaven Is A Better Place Today
20 Wheat Kings
21 Locked In The Trunk Of A Car

2nd encore
22 Escape Is At Hand For The Travelling Man
23 Ahead By A Century
24 Blow At High Dough

***Do not sell this recording***
***keep this text with the recording***

This was a very special concert. There were 20 000 people in attendance in a relatively small city, but everybody showed
up to support the charities and to see the awesome performance. The weather was perfect and it really set the mood for a great evening.

I got lucky in that this is a festival style show and I managed to capture very little crowd noise considering.
Yet again there was still a couple "incidents." During Bobcaygeon a very drunk guy jumped on my back a few times.
The next thing is during Meanstreak you will notice what sounds like a very upset donkey. To be honest I can't be sure what exactlly happened
here, but it sounds painfull.
Hipbase show review thread: http://hipbase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3759
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
cmckay69
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Re: Hipbase Bootleg show of the Month: June 2018

Post by cmckay69 »

Great quality of show. Enjoyed listening to it.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

To all those haters of Summer's Killing Us... try this one on for size! Smokin'!
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

Due to the overwhelming response of this months bootleg club, I think we will break for the rest of the summer after this to give us time to go through all the posts for this month's selection.
gsmacleod
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by gsmacleod »

Good plan - June has been so busy I haven't even downloaded this yet.

Need to give it a listen!

Shane
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

I've been dabbling in this all summer long. Decent show! Def miss these big summer shows around this time of year.
gsmacleod
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by gsmacleod »

Finally downloaded and listened to the first 8 songs this morning; this is a fantastic pick and I'm enjoying this show immensely!

Shane
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

This was a fantastic show. Probably one of the best outdoor shows I have been today. Great day of music.
srb
Completist
Completist

Post by srb »

I remember driving out to Kingston from Toronto for this show. On the way, my wife and I stopped at a highway rest area and had Wendy's burgers. I'm realizing now it has now been 14 years since my last Wendy's burger.

We hung out on the sidelines of the college field for this one, musing about smoking pot on military grounds during the show...lol. We made our way towards the stage for the final encore, as many started their trek home when it seemed the gig was prematurely done.

When it was actually over, I can remember MC Dan Ackroyd asking politely to 10K people to get off the military people's grounds...and it was a calm and orderly walk back across the causeway to our parked car in Kingston.

Great show :)
Scotty12
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by Scotty12 »

Some writing on the show I was able to dig up suggested that this event may have been thrown together in a month. I didn't recall that, but very impressive if it was true. I chose it on short notice because it was The Hip's first "homecoming" show. S Nearly a decade had passed since they performed in Kingston, possibly stretching as far back 95 DFN tour at the Memorial Center. The city was absolutely explosive for this, held during (or just after) frosh week 2004. A party unlike anything I had ever seen, dare I say a mini ARA redux.

From thehip.com
We are pleased and excited to announce that The Tragically Hip will be headlining a day-long benefit concert on Sunday, September 12th, 2004 on the playing fields of The Royal Military College of Canada in Kingston, Ontario.The as-yet-to-be-named event is being put on in conjunction with THE COMMUNITY FOUNDATION OF GREATER KINGSTON, a wonderful, umbrella-type” organisation, that will administer the monies raised which will benefit the Joe Chithalen Musical Lending Library and Camp Trillium. More information on the specific charities involved and how you can be a part of it will be announced soon. The band is very happy to be organising this event which will greatly benefit these charities that they consider very near and dear to their hearts.We are still in the planning stages of the event and will be confirming the show lineup and all other specifics over the next couple weeks. Please check back here for breaking news surrounding the event.”I’m so looking forward to playing in Kingston again. It has been far too long. With the gracious help of General LeClerc and the Royal Military College of Canada we have a great opportunity to stage a first-rate event in a beautiful setting – a full day of music for all of the people of Kingston, the incoming students and folks from far and wide – and all of the proceeds will flow back into the community. I couldn’t be happier!”ThanksRob BakerSee you in Kingston!We’re coming home…Das Hips”

Here is a review of the day that I enjoyed from the Queen's journal https://www.queensjournal.ca/story/2004 ... spotlight/

Limestone City shines in spotlight
September 14, 2004 Brendan Kennedy
Concert Review: “Across The Causeway” @ RMC Grounds
On Sunday, thousands upon thousands of concert-goers crossed over the La Salle Causeway to the Royal Military College grounds for the Kingston love-in that was “Across the Causeway.” It seemed everything fell into place rather nicely for everyone involved. It was a beautiful day, there were no major glitches or setbacks, and everyone was just that much happier knowing that the proceeds were going towards three wonderful charities, Camp Trillium, The Joe Chithalen Memorial Instrument Lending Library, and of course, the main driving force behind the entire production, The Community Foundation of Greater Kingston.

The CFKG and the other organizers of the concert really seemed to accomplish their community goals with the show, as the audience was an extremely diverse crowd representing just about every age and interest in Kingston and the surrounding area.

Even Kingston’s most popular hockey players, Doug Gilmour and Kirk Muller participated in the festivities. I was almost expecting Don Cherry to make an appearance. Kingston native, Chris Koster had the unenviable task of opening the show at two o’clock in the afternoon. Gord Sinclair of The Hip, may be right in saying Koster is “On the precipice of really big things,” because in only three songs, Koster certainly displayed a knack for crafting very accessible, radio-friendly pop.

Up next were the Spades. Led by James McKenty, the youngsters from Peterborough impressed with their youthful energy, big guitars and songs about “burning stuff.” Like Koster, The Spades were given a very short time-slot and after four songs they were gone, almost as quick as they came.

The Sadies followed with a distinctive set of surf-rock twang. Their unconventional sound was initially met with some blank stares from the now-swelling crowd—most used to Canadian cock-rock classics—but after a few tunes, The Sadies seemed to have won a good chunk of them over, inciting plenty of foot-tapping and head-bobbing with the fiddle-heavy “There’s a Higher Power” and the howling, “Loved on Look.” Despite closing with the raucous “Tiger Tiger,” the fact remained that The Sadies’ sound is better suited to a more intimate setting, rather than a massive, open air, festival concert. Unlike The Sadies, east coast rockers The Trews are built for the big stage, with their grandiose guitar solos and classic rock posturing. Out of all the bands who played on Sunday, The Trews appear the most capable to succeed The Tragically Hip as one of Canada’s few, bona fide arena rock bands. Opening with “Not Ready To Go,” the band continued a high energy set—which also featured the hit “Tired of Waiting” with a cool little segue into a “Hey Jude” jam—through to the end, inspiring the crowd far better than any of the bands that preceded them. Proving that they are much more than a studio success, lead-singer Colin MacDonald belted his vocals out to the far-reaches of RMC with near perfection, and guitarist John-Angus MacDonald displayed his proficiency with extended jams and showy stage moves.

The Hugh Dillon Redemption Choir was next. Arguably, Can-Rock’s only true Rock ‘n’ Roll personality, Dillon—former lead singer of Kingston’s toughest rockers, The Headstones—has cleaned up his image, lost about 30 pounds and now fronts a far tamer outfit in The Redemption Choir. The tattered black sweater, eyeliner, spitting and smoking, has been replaced with a sharp suit, a respectable coif, gum-chewing and friendly winks.

Much like their debut performance at this past year’s North-By-Northeast festival in Toronto, there was great anticipation surrounding Hugh Dillon’s set. The main difference being that on Sunday, Dillon and Co. were playing to over 20,000 people, while in Toronto a few months ago, there may have been 300 in the room.

Sadly, a lot of the excitement and energy that was so evident in that first show at NXNE was absent in his performance on Sunday. While it was cool to see filmmaker, Bruce McDonald, as well as The Hip’s Paul Langlois play with the band, they seemed to struggle with some minor technical problems—the guitar was almost inaudible at times and Hugh was repeatedly asking for the vocals on his monitor to be turned up—but it certainly wasn’t terrible for a band who are still very wet behind the ears.

Until their debut album is released and they have a few more shows under their belt, the jury will remain undecided on Hugh Dillon’s newest musical venture.

Matthew Good boldly began his set with three new songs off his latest release, White Light Rock & Roll Review. Luckily, they were three of the strongest tracks on the record: “Put Out Your Lights,” “Poor Man’s Grey” and “In Love With a Bad Idea.” Still, the crowd was only too happy to sing along when Good brought out the Matthew Good Band hits, “Hello Time Bomb,” “Load Me Up” and his latest single, “Alert Status Red,” eliciting the first bit of moshing for the day.

Good closed the show by himself with an acoustic rendition of “Apparitions,” showing off his awesome set of pipes. While his earlier catalogue has been considerably more popular than his recent releases, Good’s vocal abilities have infinitely improved. Even Good, a Pacific coaster, was joining in on the K-town love. “This is great. There needs to be more of this,” Good said from the stage. “I’m from Vancouver, and I don’t think we’d get this many people out to a charity gig over there.”

And as the sun was preparing to set, The Tragically Hip took to the stage.

Mr. Downie, the Gordfather, was in fine form on Sunday night. He argued with his microphone, carried on conversations with characters that weren’t there and rarely let a single song go by without some inexplicable monologue.

Whenever he was without his guitar, he undulated his wiry frame and contorted his body, before flailing his limbs into messes of uncoordinated, yet still somehow beautiful, freak-out, convulsive dance moves—Downie’s own unique style.

His erratic stage presence juxtaposed the rock-solid, steady performance of his performing partners.

The set list was a good mix of new and old, separately interspersing about half-a-dozen Evolution songs between classics spanning their twenty-year career. The Hip kept the show fresh, while at the same time satisfying the Hip-hungry crowd.

With a discography as extensive as The Hip’s, it’s hard to keep every fan happy, but they did a pretty good job, performing the likes of “Courage,” “Bobcaygeon,” “Nautical Disaster,” “At the Hundredth Meridian” and “New Orleans is Sinking,” each time inciting loud sing-a-longs, lots of fist-pumping and even some more moshing and crowd surfing.

The new songs—while not as boisterously received as their earlier material—showed the band is in no hurry to call it a career. “Goodnight Josephine” and “Mean Streak,” display the kind of passionate intensity not seen since ’94’s Day For Night. Overall, the new tunes were well-executed and indicate the band is continuing to progress.

The Hip returned for a double encore that included “Heaven is a Better Place Today,” written for Dan Snyder, “Wheat Kings,” “Locked in the Truck of a Car,” featuring Dan Aykroyd on harmonica, and “Ahead By A Century.”

They finally closed, fittingly, with “Blow at High Dough.”

Time restrictions must have been a major issue, because they seemed to be shooing The Hip off the stage with a weird drum loop that kept being played—at one point staying on through half of “Ahead By A Century.”

Seeing as how this summer has seen several promising festival concerts cancelled due to poor planning and lack of ticket sales, it is nothing short of remarkable that everyone involved with this show was able to pull it off so smoothly in a month. Really, it went off with barely a hitch.

Yeah, merchandise, food, and drinks were ridiculously over-priced; everyone could have done without the tool from K-Roc, who between acts, would continuously tell us how kids with cancer are still normal kids; the sound quality wasn’t exceptional; and there was some stupid bottle throwing and other mildly idiotic behaviour, but that’s the usual, and somewhat expected, summer festival concert fare.

Sadly, when you have a group of over 20,000, you’re going to get a few assholes. When you add beer to the mix, you can probably multiply those assholes by 10.

On the other hand, there were dozens of wonderful volunteers keeping the place clean for the whole day; entry into the park was fast, efficient and hassle-free; security was ever-present but not over-bearing; there was never long delays between bands; there were no incidents of violence or vandalism; technical problems were minor and mostly insignificant.

Even for the most cynical of concert-goers, one would be hard-pressed to say that the concert was anything but a complete success.

Everyone had a great time, lots of wonderful charities benefited and the city shone. This was a Kingston celebration, through and through, and there’s nothing wrong with that. This city deserves to be celebrated, and it’s a testament to Kingston that an event of this size was pulled off so successfully in such a short period of time.

Hell, even I’ve got to join in on the love-in. After Sunday’s show, it’s hard not to.

Yeah, I can get behind anything.

A brief excerpt from a blog I found with a hipbase shoutout
And then there was a commotion on stage, and Robbie was gesturing and indicating–or so it seemed–that he was having problems with his acoustic guitar, and then the drum loop stopped. Gord Downie apologized, claiming the band hadn’t been prepared for a second encore (which was a lie, I think–but still, a nice sentiment). And then, out of the blue, “Escape is at Hand for the Travellin’ Man”. Now this was a shock–and the definite highlight of the night. Back in August the Hipbase held an impromptu poll to determine what song we, as a board, wanted to hear in Kingston, and “Escape” emerged as the number one choice. It’s generally understood that the band frequents the site–but this, this seemed to be irrefutable evidence. And it was a great version, too; “Escape” was the third Hip song I ever heard live (Minneapolis 2000, in case you’re wondering), and it’s still one of my favourite songs of theirs.

“Ahead by a Century” was next–and then, naturally, logically (really, it was the only possible closer), “Blow at High Dough”. The song’s opening line–“They shot a movie once in my hometown”–drew a tremendous response, as was to be expected, and when the song dug in the crowd just went wild. Not the violent, crowd-surfing kind of wild, but the excited, happy, “this is a great night for music!” kind of wild. That kind of wild I can deal with.

And that was that. The show ended and we began the mass exodus back to Kingston. The causeway looked like the Boston Marathon–it was an unbelievable sight to behold, some 10,000 odd people walking back to downtown Kingston.
Another lighter review from the Queen's journal https://www.queensjournal.ca/story/2004 ... n-hip-rmc/
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

Out of disappointment that we were closing up shop, I haven't posted any shows yet. However, with this hot rumour that Hipbase will be saved, you guys want to keep this going starting up in November? We have World Container, We Are The Same, Now For Plan A, Fully and Completely, and Man Machine Poem to tackle still!
kieffer
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by kieffer »

I'm game!
britstones
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by britstones »

I'm in.