2004-07-17 - Bayfest 2004 - Sarnia, ON

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

Roy-at-tth
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Roy-at-tth »

Still have a review to write, but here's the setlist in order, as asked:

Scar
Grace
Nashville
Poets
Joe
Fireworks
Fully
Goodlife
Summer
Jet
Meridian
Everywhere
Courage
Mean
Bob C
New O
Gus
Music

Heaven
Wheat
Blow

ABAC
Lil' Bones.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thouhts the corwd were jerks.
clarke
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by clarke »

like everyone has said, decent show, horrible crowd...ranged from a couple 16 year old girls offering me and some random guy a blowjob if we let in front of us, to more drunk and sixteen year olds not really paying attention to the music...when gord stopped and was telling people to stop there were actually people laughing thinking he was just joking around...after that the band really lost energy, basically looked like they were just going through the motions...thats my second and last time going to bayfest and prolly my last general admission show...back to the music the new tunes sounded great, little disapointed with the setlist as it was pretty much the same as Canada day...
mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

Post by mrlayance »

my last general admission show...
That was what I thought abou the last general admission show I went to. They are just out of controll.
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
LoftyPines
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by LoftyPines »

clarke wrote:like everyone has said, decent show, horrible crowd...ranged from a couple 16 year old girls offering me and some random guy a blowjob if we let in front of us, to more drunk and sixteen year olds not really paying attention to the music...when gord stopped and was telling people to stop there were actually people laughing thinking he was just joking around...after that the band really lost energy, basically looked like they were just going through the motions...thats my second and last time going to bayfest and prolly my last general admission show...
Agreed, said the same thing about Bayfest last time. I will not be back to that venue.
clarke
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by clarke »

i forgot to mention that the spades rocked...definetly picking up their cd in 3 weeks
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

hahaha evelyn was a joke. come on seriously??? i would outright leave the show if they played evelyn, too funny.
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

oh also an interesting note...

when you're everywhere started, the band played it in the usual way, but it was as though gord started singing it a bit too slow which forced the band to slow down slightly. the song continued in a slightly slower way, probably to mellow the crowd a bit. it was very interesting.

also im pretty sure the fiddle player in the opening band's name was mallory (not melanie) downie.
Number Four Bobby Orr
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Number Four Bobby Orr »

Well, Bayfest was my first Hip Show, which I enjoyed, but the crowd was awful. I felt like a was a AFI concert. There was one dude wearing a Metallica t-shirt head-banging in the middle of the crowd.

I also just a front-row seat of the fight, that was wonderful. I thought Gord handled it pretty well. And what is with getting so drunk that you can't stand in one spot. I was standing beside people that were basically just staggering around trying to maintain any semblance of balance.

I am far more used to going to punk shows, so crowd surfing is nothing new to me, but I didn't really expect it at a Hip show. I don't see how crowd-surfing and Wheat Kings draw any parellel.

As far as the music went, I heard most of the songs that I wanted to hear from the new album (you're everywhere, Heaven is...) and a lot of the older stuff I wanted to hear. I was sort of expected a lot more ranting from Gord.

I had a good time, but I don't think I would go back to Bayfest next year.

I also enjoyed the Spades, they put on a good show.
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

My usual crew made it from Detroit to Sarnia to see The Hip. We arrived early enough to see both warm up bands. The Tumbleweeds were on first and had a guest performer on one song. She was a young woman between 16 to 20 years old and played an electric violin. I thought she played well and with confidence. She left after one song and the lead singer said her name was Valerie Downie. Gord's oldest daughter, perhaps?

The band came on at 10 pm. The second song was Grace,Too. Gord said, "I am the only demi-god here"! As the song played on Gord pretended to pull a gun from the small of his back and said "I'm only gonna show this once". Then he began doing his mikestand rant.

After the next song Nashville, Gord said "There's nothing about us and there's nothing in our lyrics about violence. I checked. So take care of each other tonight". (He must have been refering to rowdiness that others were posting about that was going on in front). Poets was next and Gord did "the peacock" and a rant about walking alongside a hay wagon.

To introduce a song Gord said, "This is Fully, Completely. I'm gonna give you both....(pause)...Fully and Completely"! At this point security in front began spraying the crowd with water from garden hoses. Gord said "Don't worry , don't worry, it's sunscreen....(pause)...laced with mind altering chemicals". Everyone in front was jumping up and down and screaming at Gord as the band rocked on.

One cool/funny part was when Gord began a really cool rant about having a conversation with his wife and a jet swoops so low overhead that it interupts their conversation and leaves the taste of charcol in their mouths. As I said, it was cool and he was going somewhere with it when Paul and Gord S. came up to him and he suddendly stopped. Gord had said 'Silver Jet' a number of times in the rant. Gord said , "Just because I said we're playing 'Silver Jet' doesn't mean we will". The band immediately jumped into SKU. Gord had accidentally skipped a song on his set list. Silver Jet was played next.

The band gave another great performance for 100th Meridian. During it Gord pointed at the people in front. "You are the nose and the back of this great body", he said as he pointed out to the thousands gathered. Courage was another good one with Gord bringing out "the peacock" again.

After an 18 song set, the band played two encores for a total of five more songs. Wheat Kings was great. Johnny Fay was switching between his regular sticks and a pair with thick, soft pads at the ends. He was producing some deep, muted sounds. Blow at High Dough was great, too. Gord pretended to be driving next to Paul. Also, Gord rode his mikestand like it was a bucking bronco. Awesome!

Overall, this was a straight ahead, high performance and rockin' show. Ther were some rants this show , but not as many as others. The audience could be heard singing loudly to many songs. Paul and Robbie with their dualing guitar sound were right on. Robbie shined on Gus and did a cool lead on his steel lap guitar for Wheat Kings. Paul's lead on ABAC was so sweet and exact. Just like the CD. Gord S. and Johnny were thunderous!

I'm sorry to hear so many of you had bad experiences in the front of GA. I was in the Gold Circle area to the far left on Paul's side. I could see a lot of jumping and commotion in front, but I didn't know it was so rough at times. Those around me were into the show, but there was no pushing and shoving. I try to avoid GA, but if I do, I stand at the back with my mini-binoculars. I'm waiting, like the rest of you, for the fall/winter tour dates.
Noricu
New Maybe
New Maybe

the reason

Post by Noricu »

u want to know the reason the crowd was so bad? It's simple.

It's Sarnia, Ontario.

ANd it's really hard to explain anything else beyond that, except that: it's Sarnia, Ontario. The people there are jerks.
prz
Sherpa
Sherpa

Re: the reason

Post by prz »

Noricu wrote:u want to know the reason the crowd was so bad? It's simple.

It's Sarnia, Ontario.

ANd it's really hard to explain anything else beyond that, except that: it's Sarnia, Ontario. The people there are jerks.
Wow. To the point.
Roy-at-tth
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Roy-at-tth »

i kept an eye out for you lofty, unfortunately i never found you.

although i started screaming LOFTY! LOFTY!!! at some poor kother fellow wearing a hip jersy.
Dr. J
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Dr. J »

Just got back from Bayfest (14 hours on the road)and my first Hip show and would like to offer a couple of thank yous. :thumb: First to the Tragically Hip for a fantastic show despite the annoyance of some in the crowd. They were great. Secondly, I'd like to thank them for having a little known indie band (the Spades) precede them. I know it wasn't the promoter's wish, but it was the Hip's and I thank them for sticking to their guns. Thanks, guys. Secondly, I want to thank the Hip fans (the ones who were there for the music and you know who you are). I had been told that Hip fans could be awfully intolerant of opening acts, but from what I saw there Saturday night during the Spades, you guys were total pro.....a lot of class and grace too. Thanks so much. You made the trip worthwhile.
LoftyPines
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by LoftyPines »

Roy-at-tth wrote:i kept an eye out for you lofty, unfortunately i never found you.

although i started screaming LOFTY! LOFTY!!! at some poor kother fellow wearing a hip jersy.
Ha Ha Ha!!!!
Thats funny. I didn't run into anyone from HipBase, but I was yelled at a couple of times:

In line for the washroom- "Gord likes the Maple Leafs you fucking moron"

Then I turned around and he saw it was a Hip jersey. Then I said "And he likes Boston anyway, jackass"

It was good to put at least one unruly hooligan in his place!

On a different note, did anyone notice Johnny's little Drum solo before ABAC? I thought it was really cool!
Roy-at-tth
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Roy-at-tth »

yeah. i had my hopes up it was gonna be a new tune for a second there.