2004-12-04 - Sydney, NS - Centre 200

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-12-04 - Sydney, NS - Centre 200

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
Last edited by mrlayance on Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

Sunday, December 05, 2004
Setlist - Centre 200 Sydney, NS Dec. 4, 2004

Vaccination Scar
Grace, Too
My Music @ Work
Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
Ahead By A Century
Something On
Springtime In Vienna
Summer's Killing Us
Courage
Bobcaygeon
Nautical Disaster
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
At The Hundredth Meridian
Poets
New Orleans Is Sinking

1st Encore:
One Night In Copenhagen
Boots Or Hearts
Blow At High Dough

2nd Encore:
Heaven Is A Better Place Today
Lake Fever
Little Bones
GarrettC
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by GarrettC »

The show was amazing. They didn't play Heaven Is A Better Place Today however.
GarrettC
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by GarrettC »

Another note. There was someone sitting in the front row, center filming the show. I am not sure if he is a member of Hipbase or not but they sure were fans of the band. Hopefully the show will turn up on the Bt Tracker in the future.
mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

Post by mrlayance »

GarrettC wrote:Another note. There was someone sitting in the front row, center filming the show. I am not sure if he is a member of Hipbase or not but they sure were fans of the band. Hopefully the show will turn up on the Bt Tracker in the future.
Might have been Rory, highlander and thehip11. They had front row I think.
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
highlander
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Sydney NS Show Dec 4th

Post by highlander »

Whew..just getting home from Sydney with Jamie and Rory. WHAT A SHOW!!!!!

We had front row with a small crowd of about 1600 people. Rory taped and after the show we reviewed the recording quality. The DVD is going to blow your socks off! To quote Jamie, "The ACC show is an 7 or 8 and this (the Sydney show) is a 10" in terms of sound quality and the fact it was shot from front row centre. It was like we were getting our own private show.

All for now..I need some food and sleep before tonight's show at the Hfx MetroCentre.

High
Pmackie
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Pmackie »

Oh yeah they played silver jet too...thats not on the setlist...we screamed it alot and it came lol...great show...actually unbelieveable show.
wpghipfan
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by wpghipfan »

No Silver Jet at all.
highlander
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by highlander »

mrlayance wrote:
GarrettC wrote:Another note. There was someone sitting in the front row, center filming the show. I am not sure if he is a member of Hipbase or not but they sure were fans of the band. Hopefully the show will turn up on the Bt Tracker in the future.
Might have been Rory, highlander and thehip11. They had front row I think.
That was us. We had lots of room at first but there were row and chair jumpers (younger girls) who crowded in behind us.
wpghipfan
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by wpghipfan »

Ok, I suppose I can write a full review of the show. TheHip11 and Highlander and I arrived in Sydney from Halifax at about 4 PM. We headed to our hotel and then over to the Centre 200 to check out the venue. I went in what I thought was the door to the box office, but it was the backdoor. I heard music coming from the stage, and there was no one around security-wise, so I ran back out to the car to get the guys, and we walked into the arena and watched Robby riff on Vaccination Scar for awhile. Turns out we had just missed the soundcheck, and JPE was setting up for theirs when we left. Had we not gone to the hotel first, and straight to the venue.... blimey!
To the show...
The recording is really really really good. I was manning the video camera all night, and it was a completely clear recording, no one blocking my view at all. A very short setlist (15 main set, 5 encore songs), but seeing Copenhagen was a nice surprise. Lots of energy overall from the band, and Robby was wearing some pimpin' pinstriped pants.
Meridian was by far the best song of the night IMO. They did not speed up the tempo at all in the middle jam, hence making it sound like the actual album version, which was a beautiful surprise. Gord D's dancing was particularly entertaining last night, but he managed to stay on his feet all night. During Something On, Gord gave me a quick nod at the vid camera, whic you will all be able to see on the DVD that Chris will get out whenever he has the time. I will be recording Halifax tonight from the 7th row, so if it turns out a quarter as good as the Sydney show, we're laffin'.

JPE was fantastic...

Rory
Halifax
GarrettC
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by GarrettC »

I was in row 4 and the moment I sat down I was hoping that it was you guys that were in the front row filming. I remembered reading that ya's were taping it, I just didn't know where from. If ya's want any pictures, some of which with the back of your heads in them just drop me a PM
highlander
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by highlander »

Here's an article on the Hip that the Cape Breton Post (Sydney based newspaper) did:

http://www.capebretonpost.com/news.aspx ... ryID=25600

High
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

Highlander, Jamie, Rory, good to meet you guys. Rory, thanks for the drive to the hotel.

I thought the show was pretty amazing considering the poor ticket sales. They won't come back to Sydney and I don't blame them. The crowd turnout was pathetic.

Having said that, the boys still put on quite a show. My buddy and I were fifth row center. Gord was his maniacal self and made me laugh out loud at times. The energy was quite high and I wasn't expecting great things when I saw the sparce crowd. The boys are professionals and kicked some ass.

My friend was so literally entranced by the show that he had to take a break. He was LITERALLY in another world. I mean, he left just after Boots or Hearts and said he couldn't take it any more. He was so drained and on such a high that he needed to get some air. He said he felt like Gord and the boys were in his living room singing to him. The Hip are one of a kind. To put on that great of a show in front of a less than stellar audience is a true credit to them. Gord was having spasms and he was ON. Bobby was joking around, the boys put a big smile on my face. At certain points in the show I was speechless. Meridian, like always, was unbelievable. There was nothing from IVL played but the show was still great.

I wish I could have seen the boys after the show but what can you do.
highlander
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by highlander »

Wait till you see the wicked shot I got of Gord jumping into the air. It's the Sydney DVD cover as decided by Jamie, myself and Rory.

High
wpghipfan
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by wpghipfan »

Check these out: