2004-11-19 - Calgary, AB - Pengrowth Saddledome

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-11-19 - Calgary, AB - Pengrowth Saddledome

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
CanuckCourage
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by CanuckCourage »

God Damn that was awesome !! Everytime I see them it get's better and better , the crowd was wicked...God damn , my ears are ringing and i'm pumped. Well they played some great stuff, Bobcaygeon, Ahead By a Century, Locked, 100th, Fully , Something On , Scared, Copenhagen, Springtime,Blow,Gus,Summers Killing Us, Everywhere... closed with Long Time Running and Little Bones..Just wicked!! I know i'm forgetting something..
sherpahigh
Completist
Completist

Post by sherpahigh »

What he said... except some of the crowd in my area. Lotta drunks out for a Friday night Hip show. LTR was unreal!! 3 encores again tonight, definitly seemed planned.

I'm off to bed now, up early for toon town tomorrow.
sherpahigh
Completist
Completist

Post by sherpahigh »

From the Hip.com:

Saturday, November 20, 2004
Setlist - Pengrowth Saddledome, Calgary, AB Nov. 19, 2004

Vaccination Scar
Fully, Completely
Poets
Summer's Killing Us
It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
Something On
You're Everywhere
Courage
Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
Locked In The Trunk Of A Car
Bobcaygeon
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
At The Hundredth Meridian
Are We Family
My Music @ Work
New Orleans Is Sinking

1st Encore:
Heaven Is A Better Place Today
Scared
Blow At High Dough

2nd Encore:
One Night In Copenhagen
Ahead By A Century
Springtime In Vienna

3rd Encore:
Long Time Running
Little Bones
BulletRiddled
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BulletRiddled »

That had to have been the best concert I've ever seen! Seeing Long Time Running and Little Bones back-to-back closing the show was perfect.

I know someone who knows someone who recorded the concert, I'll see if I can get ahold of the tape.
Billy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Oh my, oh my, oh my!

Post by Billy »

Show # 18 and that may very well be the creme de la creme. I'm kinda tired right now and like someone else said, my ears are ringing, but holy christ was that beautiful!

They were pulling out shit like crazy...Something On, Locked, Scared, Long Time, Are We Family, and Gord bloody well did Pink Moon during ABAC! Until now I had only seen that once, and it was during the PP tour, and voila, he pulls it out tonight!

I am a bit dumbfounded right now.

Oh, hey Aaronck, I talked to a friend of yours tonight. I knew you were in the 3rd row, so right before the first encore I started asking the guys down the line from me if they were Aaron. The third guy said he wasn't, but that he knew you and you were farther down still. I told him to say hi from me when he see's you.

Anyways, you guys are all in for a treat if they continue on like this. They were fucking on, I gotta say! This is DVD material for sure, and at the very least I wanna see this on Livedownloads. Gord was so interactive tongiht, infact I haven't seen him this into a crowd...perhaps ever.

Well done lads!!
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Review from the Calgary Sun:

The Hip reign again at ’Dome
Sweet Kings

by Sarah Kennedy
Calgary Sun

I always thought the Tragically Hip was best enjoyed in the summer while sitting in the back country with a cold bottle of Molson Canadian.

But the cusp of winter in a massive hockey arena full of thousands of screaming fans works, too.

The Nov. 19 sold-out show at the Saddledome was the fourth stop on the tour for the Kingston, Ont. rock veterans.

There’s something about the Hip that just brings out the patriotism in humble Canucks, inspiring even restless fans to break our into the national anthem while waiting for them to hit the stage.

(Not even the Flames have that power in the ’Dome — at least not this season.)

In 20 years of earthy, toe-tapping, all-Canadian rock, not much has changed with the Hip.

Twitchin’ frontman Gord Downie provided his expected gesticulations, and the happy crowd sparked up a potent haze that was so thick you almost forgot …

Wait … what was I talking about?

Anyhow, the difference is, Nov. 19 most Calgarians were hearing some of the Hip’s new songs live, which are a lot like their old stuff — though in some cases not as lyrically clever, but no one seemed to mind.

New songs from In Between Evolution, such as Summer’s Killing Us, were balanced by old favourites such as Scared, Bobcaygeon and Poets, while a moving screen shot animated images behind them.

A jean-clad Downie was at his best without his guitar, giving him the freedom to dance and spastically flail around.

Although the singer clearly dominated the stage, bandmates Paul Langlois, Bobby Baker, Gord Sinclair and Johnny Say were more than able to keep up with Downie’s energy.

The fact that not much has changed isn’t a bad thing.

In fact, is says a lot about the band.

They’ve managed to hang on to their energy and allure, and have proven that after decades of performing they still know how to rock a crowd.

That was evident went the hordes of Hip fans roared to life when the band cued up Courage.

But New Orleans is Sinking took the energy to a higher, more electric level that wasn’t surpassed until the first of three encores.

Halifax’s The Joel Plaskett Emergency, who opened to a half-empty ’Dome, didn’t fare nearly as well. (Though few could.)

Plaskett, former frontman for the indie gems Thrush Hermit, was either on Ritalin last night or felt lost on the spacious Saddledome stage.

Although his songs were catchy, Plaskett was missing that manic, stage-leaping energy he used to have.
TLB
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by TLB »

Who's Johnny Say???
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

Johhny Say , he replaced the original Drummer "Fanny Fay"

I'll get some pic's up within the next hour.
Jenna_Bird
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Jenna_Bird »

I heard that he stepped in at the same time as Phil Langois. Can anyone confirm? :lol:

-Jenna
Billy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Billy »

MountainHip wrote:Johhny Say , he replaced the original Drummer "Fanny Fay"

I'll get some pic's up within the next hour.
So what did you think of the show?
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

It was pretty good, the band was tight, and ripped through the set like clockwork, Gord was into it as soon as they walked on stage, no surprises in the setlist, the crowd was all over each tune, really into the show, and very energetic, compared to other shows. Even the second level were on their feet, opposed to the last show at the dome in 2000.

The highlight for me, was how amazing "Are We Family" sounds live, I do not like the album version, but live this song is amazing, and on the screen behind the band was a close up of a little girls eyes. Brilliant!

When they started of with Scar, Fully and Poets, I knew we were in for a loud rocking show, Bobcageon was great as well, Fully was insane the crowd was crazy tonight, and 100th Meridian was a favourite as well.

Scared was a really nice treat.

All in all a great show, couple of guys behind us started to sing Oh Canada, and the place cheered, and sang along.

What is with people coming in late? I was in the 3rd row, and they were probably about 40-50 people didn't show until a few songs into it.

Overall a great show, highlights for me, were, the opening three songs, Blow, Scared, and Are we Family. And Gord was really on tonight, I noticed Paul's back up vocals were much more noticable, I think he put a little extra in that night as well.

Ken.
Billy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Billy »

MountainHip wrote: no surprises in the setlist
Really? Something On, Locked, Scared, Are We Family...I was surprised with each of these. Then the Pink Moon was such an added treat...one of those little things that I always long to hear but Gord just doesn't anymore. At least not from any of the shows I have seen in the past 6 years or from any boots since 98. Long Time would have totally blown me away if they hadn't played it in Kelowna, but that was the first time in 2 years.

I dunno, the more I think about the show the more I keep thinking it may just be the best Hip show I've seen to date. The past maybe 6 years have all had real good shows, but I don't think I have felt this charged after a show since Henhouse 96 in Saskatoon.

I havenn't seen Gord smile and be that "into" a show since, well since 96. It was such a treat to say the least.
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

I missed the pink moon, I don't know what that is, and therefor I wasn't listening for it. Don't get me wrong, I loved the show.
CanuckCourage
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by CanuckCourage »

Billy wrote: I haven't seen Gord smile and be that "into" a show since, well since 96. It was such a treat to say the least.
I agree totally, he was really happy, and he looks really comfortable playing the guitar now, jamming with Paul, just looked really into it. The energy of the crowd was amazing, being on the floor and looking all around you and seeing 18,000 people standing and singing was so cool. Those huge video screens really add something to the show, takes the live show up a notch..