2011-06-25 - Big Music Fest - Bobcaygeon, Ontario

Been to a show? Post your review.
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Re: 2011-06-25 - Big Music Fest - Bobcaygeon, Ontario

Post by Mr. Lahey »

Same setlist again? At least they added 50 MC.
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

How did they sound? How was the show?
BakersBrew
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BakersBrew »

Hey what did Emily Fennell play? Was Gene Simmonds there to watch her?
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

IMO show was just ok. Gord's sounded like he was straining (I heard a lot of people around me commenting that his voice didn't sound good, sounded like he was just yelling instead of singing). When was the last time that The Hip played back to back shows with identical main setlists? Again I understand wanting to play mostly hits, but surely they could switch out 2 or 3 of them.

The organization of the festival was a farce, especially the shuttles. At the end of the show, no one had any idea whatsoever where to go to catch shuttles. Most people were just standing around without any idea of where to go. We fortunately ventured out on to the main road where we happened to see a row of Lindsay bound shuttles parked down a side street. If we hadn't have luckily figured this out for ourselves, we'd probably still be standing there now. The beer line was ridiculous. None of my group even bothered with it.

Overall I've got mixed feelings about this show. The setting was cool, the crowd from what I saw seemed generally well behaved.

If the setlists don't start to vary more over the next couple of shows I may try and unload my Downsview tickets for next week! I saw Peterborough and tonight's show, and they were identical except for 50 Mission Cap replacing Locked In The Trunk. I don't particularly need to hear all of these songs for the 3rd time in 10 days!

Here's hoping they do a full tour in the fall, and it's back to their usual standards.
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

Wow nhaste, I have a completely opposite feeling. I thought the show was great.

I was spoiled all last tour with small venues, and being up front for most of them. So attending a stadium show and being a ways back in an intense crowd was quite a shock to the system!

This show was so much more electric than Peterborough. Gord was way more antimated and vocal, even bringing back the microphone stand speak in Grace. And man, did you see Gord S. jumping all over the stage during Drip Drip? Which, by the way, I love. I've still got it going through my head this morning. Transformation sounded great again too, and I even started to come around to Streets Ahead.

Bobcaygeon, as cliche as it was, was amazing. Gord didn't even have to sing.

Actually, my only beef was with the sound a couple of times. Gord could barely hear and wasn't singing in time with the music, and then the crowd was so loud sometimes you couldn't hear him at all. NOIS was like this I think.

I was impressed with the event organizers. Lots of signs on roads a ways a away from the site, which was great, as I managed to get lost on the way there. I guess in terms of VIP, the only perk for me was the parking. I had no trouble getting in, and getting out went quicker than I expected. I wasn't drinking so access to the beer area was pointless, but I thought we were supposed to have our own viewing area? If so, I missed it.

This show brought me around to big outdoor shows again! To me, this is what exemplifies the Hip. Huge shows, usually in the summer, intense crowds who know the words to all the songs, muddy fields, and long hikes back to your car hoping you can remember where you parked it! :thumb: Now, to go fix my stiff neck from the idiot bodysurfer who slammed into me and snapped it back. Bodysurfing = NOT COOL.

Pics from right side of stage, a bit of a ways back (Sam Roberts too)
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

Yipes. Surely they won't play this same setlist AGAIN in Moncton!!!???!!?! Bonner, say it ain't so.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

ikky99 wrote:Yipes. Surely they won't play this same setlist AGAIN in Moncton!!!???!!?! Bonner, say it ain't so.
I'm cool with the setlist, as long as there's some changes between Moncton and Charlottetown.
Still a little shocked that 'Springtime In Vienna' might be a rarity on this tour.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

Venue was in a great setting, absolutely perfect for a summer Hip show.

Organization was the worst for ANY festival we have ever been to, hands down. Absurd line ups, poor sineage, massive confusion for thousands of stranded fans after the show. Getting a beer or food was farcical, simply not worth the 90 minute wait.

Setlist was predictable but for the most part well received, personally meh for me but most people seemed to enjoy it. I like all three new songs in rotation but Drip Drip and Transformation are monsters live. High hopes for the new album.

VIP??? don't think so. Best spot in the area was a little behind the SOUNBOARD to the far right of the stage, with a squared steel fence in front of you. Kinda like prison. Pretty sad to be in the best VIP spot and have 10K people in front of you. Hopefully Downsview is an improvement.

Sound in the VIP was ok, but we eventually ventured out half way through the show to get a better view and the sound was much better towards the centre of the field. Not sure what the issue with Gord's voice is, IMO he sounded like he always does, let's face it he is not a great singer. I've always thought of him as a vocalist/stylist and a great one at that. I have to mention Gord S was simply amazing, the bass was the best I've ever heard and for me was nothing short of brilliant in both ABAC and Transformation.

It's always a treat to see the Hip specially with the added talents if Miss Emily (fantastic set) The Trews and of course Sammy, but I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that Im getting too old and a bit of a curmudgeon when it comes to outdoor drunk-fests.

Lastly, shout out to Bobcaygeon residents and organizers, EMS and all support staff. This was a massive undertaking and hopefully there will be some lessons learned if the decide to do it again.
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

BakersBrew wrote:it is officially a bad mariage...time to end it boys
?
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
carebread
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by carebread »

The show last night way okay. In terms of venue, the place was great - tons of vendors, the ground wasn't too hilly and wasn't too bad to walk in even after the rain. Certainly not the best Hip show I've seen though. Gord didn't seem very boisterous or animated tonight. It's like they called it in a bit, disappointing. Was hoping to hear a couple of my old favourites - Springtime in Vienna, Fully Completely - pretty sad that they didn't change the setlist.

Getting out of there was a pain. We parked on-site, waited over an hour just to get out of the lot and back on the side road. The cop at the gate told us to form 2 lines going out but the left-hand side was blocked at the end of the road, making everyone merge to the right. This just slowed things down.

Did end up front row off-centre thanks to a group of high young men pushing anything in their way through; ribs are a bit sore today but it was worth it.
Across The Causeway '04 | Big Music Fest '08 | Kingston '09 | Bobcaygeon '11 | Cobourg '13 | Bluesfest '13 | Danforth Music Hall '15 | Kingston '15 | Bluesfest '15 | Toronto I '16 | Toronto II '16 | Toronto III '16 | Hamilton '16 | Ottawa '16 | Kingston '16
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

sean.bonner wrote:
?
That wasn't worth a reply. Even a "?" was too much.
Summiteer
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Summiteer »

ikky99 wrote:
sean.bonner wrote:
?
That wasn't worth a reply. Even a "?" was too much.
Ya Bakers Brew gets pissy easily...
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
Summiteer
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Summiteer »

Friend of mine went and said the show was great, he had VIPs and was glad he didn't have to line up in the regular outhouse lines, they were insane and said, same for the booze lines.
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
BakersBrew
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BakersBrew »

Maybe Gord has a cold?
mikethegoalie32
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by mikethegoalie32 »

Add locked in trunk of car after 50M, they played 2 songs in second encore.

Show was good, Gord rambled a lot, then went quiet, then pepped back up. Atmosphere on the right of stage was meh, guess it depends who was around you. Sound was pretty good.

Was worth seeing Bobcaygeon in Bobcaygeon, but hoping they have altered the setlist a tiny bit come the ottawa show... Three same setlist shows may set me off for the year...

Thought on that though:

Maybe they are doing the same setlist for the recording of their documentary? They want those songs in the doc, and want to get the best take as possible? Just a thought I had last night when I was calling what song would be next...