2002-10-15 - Hummingbird Centre - Toronto, ON

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

hip_bond
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

2002-10-15 - Hummingbird Centre - Toronto, ON

Post by hip_bond »

ok all i know after seeing 20 shows personally in the past 8 years...this was one of the best ive seen. so many rants during songs it was unbelievable. gems into dire wolf...crazy..though theve done it before this tour. fire in the hole, I.O.D., ESCAPE IS AT HAND, putting down, and so on. im sure eags and others will give you the complete setlist. BTW EAGS was sitting right behind thehip11 and myself. sorry if my crazy gyrations disturbed your concert(if they did?) and i hope i didnt scream too loud so that i was caught on your recording.(1 guy came next to eags and started screaming..wasnt me.) ehehe...gord d came and sat down on the edge on the stage right infront of the left side and right side of the stage at certain points. on stage left he pretended that his feet were hanging off the wagon and his feet were shhhhhushing through the grasses during poets...the shhhhhsong....(same rant as Jubilee poets)

sam roberts was a good opener and got everyone to stand for at least 3 of his songs.

great show. im still stunned because i was in the second row in front of paul and huge towers of speakers. deafening. loved the show. cant wait to get a copy of the show...GREAT RANTS SO MANY OF EM!!!!!!!!

peace.
eags
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by eags »

so far the tape is great with no screams!!!!

Here is the setlist in order

Use it up
M@W
NOIS
Grace
Escape
Courage
Jet
Putting Down
Weaken
Poets
IOD
Beauty
100th
ABAC
Gems/Dire
Bones

encore
Lake Fever
Are you ready
Fire in the hole

Real good show, Gord was really into tonight, he did some classic rants.
Was hoping for the Gem we asked for but locked, escape, IOD and Gems in one
show was enough for me, I am previewing my recording now, it sounds good,
from the third row on the left.
Gord had a little potty mouth tonight
must have used the f word 15 times. Thats all for now, enjoy night 2, my hip
tour is over for now.

Sean
Beat
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Beat »

WOW.........great setlist :D
eags
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by eags »

Well, I am listening to my recording right now, I was afraid it would be bass heavy because of the proximity of the stack, but it sounds fantastic. I won't be able to rip it and make it available until tomorrow probably, but it sounds good, the rants are very clear. I also taped all but the first 30 seconds of Sam Roberts if anyone is interested, it was cool to meet Hipbond and thehip11, I wish we could have made it to Fion McCools, but with traffic we just made it into TO at 7:15.
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

Fionn Macools.... was kool...we sat outside it was so busy... I ran into an old High School friend, other Hip regulars and a Silver Jet Video friend....we headed for the Hummer & I started my picture taking with the sign out front of the venue...on and in first person we saw was Mrs Baker and their son in the front lobby...bought some THC Rolling papers for fun & onto the line-up for a cocktail.... Sam was over - the 2 minute warning rang and we were in...Row BB in front of Gord Sinclair.

Random thoughts - Being that close as I have before allows us to see many things the Mezzanine Gang doesn't....but from what I am told the light show is mesmorizing and it seems we miss that up front..... but when Gord cam over and sat down ...it was actually right on the satge....like he was on the... wagon and you can feel the grass below our feet...he says...then looks at the security guard asking "is it ok if I do that....eh?"...as I rifle-off 6-7 pics from my Sony Cybershot...the Red Light on Gords head mixing with not quite a perfect focus...made for some interesting shots... I also documented "Bobby's Walk" over and past Sinclair into Johnny country.. - Gord D... pulled out some classic poses, a few Kinks lyrics I believe... mixed in with a complete "laying-down" on stage and I snapped a pretzel-pose of him trying to get up...Silver Jet was powerful...Escape was well appreciated...100th-into- the "life is forgetting, life is for - getting..." followed by th! ! ! e fasted & coolest "I remember every little" over and over.... the outro for ABAC is still one of the best little jam-gems going and then lets talk Gems -Dire Wolf -combo...can you say SOLID? I also love Lake Fever...Pauls vocals & electric-lead are nice to watch as Bobby & Gord D...tickle the acoustics - Fire in the Hole ! Sitting row A tonight so hopefully I can enjoy more of the lightshow...All-together I Shot 80 pics and will have a page up for viewing by end of week....no camera tonight just Music.

enjoy - http://picasaweb.google.com/thecompleti ... birdCentre

Jeffro

Would I have liked a second encore. or...a gem?....Sure...but we got tonight babe!

Jeffro
Last edited by thecompletist on Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eags
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by eags »

Some quotes that stick out from last night!

"You can lead a courage to water, but can't make it wear pantyhose"

"Looked up to the Lord above and said hey Paul Langlois thanks.......I swear to Rob he said. OHHHH f**k no, You imagine Paul saying that NOOOO f**k that."

"let's go to down the bloodbank, I was going down to the recruiting office right after the show and sign up, and if they didn't have one I was gonna say you should have one in Toronto"

"Where do you think your going, your a microphone, where do you think your going, you got a microphone stand and nothing else, just shut up I'll do the talking."
the_wheat_king
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by the_wheat_king »

One of the best I've seen as well!!! Here's my story.....

Get off the train and meet my friend at Union and we make our way down to the Hummer. It's 7pm now as we stop and hang out near the corner where the scalpers were selling. My friends go and talk to a cop about something interesting and I start to talk to another guy beside me smoking. We start a conversation and I ask him how many shows he's been to in his lifetime, he said "600, maybe a 1000."
I assumed with a number like that, he's been to a lot of shows but not 600. I told him it was my 5th show and I laughed. He then told me he was the Hip's tour manager or something like that I forget......IT'S JAKE GOLD!!!! I was in shock!
We talk for a little while longer now about stuff and he asked me if I got "first-in-line" ticket sales through the Hip Club. I told him I did but I was with two other friends and they didn't want to pay a lot for our seats (my seats were up in row Z, left of centre in the balcony). He said, "oh alright, here take these...." He reaches in his pocket and pulls out two complmentary tickets in row G, centre!!!! Now I was really shocked!!
I was literally speachless. I said thanks so much and he left. So I told my friends and they were speachless but only one could sit with me. So my one friend attends U of T and he goes off to find two more friends who wanted to go.
7:20pm - So me and my friend go into the Hummer to look around and we go to our seats and wait for Sam Roberts to appear.

7:32pm - Sam hits the stage. He did a terrific job encouraging a good size crowd to stand and sing along. Sam and his band played some really good jams that got the crowd moving a bit more. Great performance!

8:17pm - Sam Roberts finishes up and we leave to find my other friend with another girl. My original seats were way up where the spotlight was shining, far from the stage. We then head down to the lobby and hang out there. On my way back to my seat, I look at the sound/light board and the hip's setlist is sitting right on the table. I force myself not to look as I wanted to be surprised with each song. I sit down and start talking with some fellow hipsters and ask how they got their tickets. One of them said he got it free from Gord Sinclair! It turns out that they both went to high school with the Hip back in Kingston! I was speachless again!! He wasn't very talkative so I decided to mind my own business.

8:39pm - The crowd is getting excited and chanting "Hip Hip Hip Hip" here and there. Suddenly the lights go out and everyone jumps to their feet as the Hip enter!

My review from what I remember:

The band walks on stage as Gord is wearing his green shirt and a Bruin hat.
They start off with Use It Up and right away I'm dancing on the spot waving my hands in the air (by the way, I was the one in the white hip jersey and orange hat).
M@W was next and they had an extended version to the song that blew me away!
NOIS was played at its best with Paul's stellar guitar riff at the start. Also when gord sang, "Looked up to the lord above and said hey Paul Langlois thanks....." (look at Eags' quote's from the show).
Grace, Too "he said I'm Tragically Hip!" Gord sits on one of the speakers.
Escape is at hand was one of my fav's from the night and I was really happy to hear it. Great jam at the start.

Great lighting as well for the whole show.....IOD, escape, weaken, meridian, locked....
Nice little rant before and in the middle of 100th meridian as well but didn't catch it and Robby's nice "picking" of his guitar in the middle too (you know what I mean?). Also when gord sang "....an american myth" and looked at the crowd maybe trying to see our reaction to him not saying canadian myth, that was a good laugh. Gord sitting down on the stage talking with the crowd during Poets about his ssssssssssound.
By the way, anyone know who was filming down in row DD I think, he was right near GD when he sat on the stage.
The Gems/Dire Wolf feature was well played with them blending into dire wolf.
And hearing Little Bones for the first time since the Phantom Power 1999 tour was a treat with gord's dancing.
What was really funny during Bones was near the end of the song when gord would sing "baby eat this chicken slow....", he decided to save it for later in his rant I think. But Gord Sinclair missed that and did the backup to where GD would have sung it, you know. Right away I looked at Paul and he had a big smile on his face, then when GD finally sang the words, Paul and GSinclair looked at each other and laughed. Anyone else see that?
During the break before the encore, it was awesome to hear the entire crowd chant HIP HIP HIP HIP.....that was great! I waved my hat in circles when the hip came back for the encore.
I agree that the encore was kinda disappointing but it was still awesome!
When gord said 1,2,3 Are You Ready!!! to the crowd.
Gord lying on the stage at the end of fire in the hole.

Anyways, superb show guys thanks a lot. Also thanx to Jake for the tickets, awesome!!! Can't wait to hear how the recording sounded like!

(Wow is it already "3 o'clock in the morning") hehe
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

Review: Tuesday October 15th, 2002
Venue: Hummingbird Centre, Toronto Ontario
Set list:
1 Use It Up
2 Music at Work
3 New Orleans is Sinking
4 Grace, Too
5 Escape is at Hand…
6 Courage
7 Silver Jet
8 Putting Down
9 Good Life…
10 Poets
11 IOD
12 Beautiful Thing
13 100th Meridian
14 Locked in the Trunk of a Car
15 Ahead by a Century
16 Germs/The Dire Wolf
17 Little Bones
18 Lake Fever
19 Are You Ready
20 Fire in the Hole

Well I rushed home from work to pick up my 2 buddies for the show. We headed to the Dublin Pub before the show and had a couple pints. They were playing Day For Night cranked pretty loud and the place was just packed. I didn’t see any henhousers I recognized but I did see a lot of hip shirts and people most likely heading to the show. We left Dublin around 720ish to head over to see Sammy. We went into Hummingbird and the place is just outstanding. It’s mostly use for ballets and opera and stuff like that but who cares, thehip are here and it’s time to party. We took a look at the merchandise table and my buddy bought the IVL toque and my other friend bought the tour shirt with the elephants on the front. I kept telling them, “Buy them off the website through thehipclub because it’s cheaper but they wouldn’t listen. Anyways, we got the stuff and headed down to our seats, ROW CC 1-3 I might add………WE WERE SOOOOO CLOSE IT WAS JUST AMAZING!!!!!!!!! Sean Eaggs was actually sitting right behind us so we introduced ourselves and chatted a little bit before the show. Sammy came on and he once again had the crowd going nuts. People were on their feet for a few songs and he kept thanking thehip for this awesome tour. Sammy was rolling all over the floor on the last song and they had the crowd going pretty good. Probably the best Sam Roberts performance I’ve seen on the tour.

SHOWTIME:
Now I’ve seen a whole lot of hip shows but I’ve never seen Gord rant and dance more then this show. I think every song had at least some ranting, maybe except for Good Life but at the end of every song, it had me looking at my friends and Sean with my jaw dropped thinking, “I hope this recording turns out because this is best show EVER EVER!!!!!!!!!!!” My buddy Scott (hipbond) was dancing around like a madman like he does at every show. At one point I elbowed him right in the nose but life went on because thehip were playing and we can’t pay attention to pain when there’s a show to be watched. Once again Gord was wearing has famous green shirt and by the end of the show the thing was plastered right to his body because of all the sweat. A few highlights for me were IOD, Escape, Gems into Dire Wolf, Locked, Poets rant where he sat on the stage and sang to someone front row and the Meridian “forgetting” rant is really evolving and is really sticking in my head that I’m every singing everything he says and lastly Fire in the Hole to end the show. I’m going to thank thehipclub for this show because without it, I most likely wouldn’t have been able to sit pretty much on the stage, HAHA!! Welp….and so ends another hip show…..BUT not just another hip show. This for me was the show of all shows. If there’s one recording you should get a hold of, it’s this night. Gord must have said the F word about 20 times during the show and he was probably the most in tune with the music then I’ve ever seen him. Just an outstanding performance!! If tomorrow night is half as good, I’ll be darn happy.

Jamie Innes
[email protected]
chris
The Last Recluse

Re: 2002-10-15 - Hummingbird Centre - Toronto, ON

Post by chris »

Here's my video of the complete show: https://youtu.be/_VwDypoBnMU
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Re: 2002-10-15 - Hummingbird Centre - Toronto, ON

Post by thecompletist »

Chris with the big come back show, nice man thanks....