2016-08-14 - Toronto, Ontario

Chris Tanz
Completist
Completist

Re: 2016-08-14 - Toronto, Ontario

Post by Chris Tanz »

LoftyPines wrote:Nice to meet Carebread and Chris Tanz at the end of the show!
Same here to both of you!!

Ct
sherpahigh
Completist
Completist

Post by sherpahigh »

thebends wrote:Had to stop broadcasting because security got curious about my USB charger and cables coming out of my nap sac. Kinda killed the show for us but it was near the end and we had the opportunity to share with you. One more and we are out.
You're killing it, man. The wife and I have been loving your feeds, really appreciate it. :thumb: :thumb:
mystery met
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by mystery met »

Saw all 3 Toronto shows and this was a great end to the week. The band just kicked ass every night. Damn I wanted Gus but I have nothing to complain about.
We'll see you on down the road sometime Gord.
Torontonian69
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Torontonian69 »

Amazing incredible transport me back to small club amaze balls.

Thanks guys... you sound better than ever. Keep goin...

Oh, and escape is at hand for the travellin' man.
HandsInTheRiver41
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by HandsInTheRiver41 »

Absolutely fantastic show. The past two concerts have been a nearly perfect summation of why I love this band so much. If I never get a chance to see this band again, I couldn't be happier with this send-off, finishing with such a grand Grace Too. Eternally grateful for the experience.
TTH: Vancouver 2004 | Victoria 2007 (x2) | Victoria 2009 (x2) | Solana Beach 2009 | Los Angeles 2009 | Victoria 2012 |
Portland, OR 2012 | Toronto #2 & #3 2016 || GD: Victoria 2010 | Montréal 2014
carebread
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by carebread »

Chris Tanz wrote:
LoftyPines wrote:Nice to meet Carebread and Chris Tanz at the end of the show!
Same here to both of you!!

Ct
Hipbaser section best section.
Across The Causeway '04 | Big Music Fest '08 | Kingston '09 | Bobcaygeon '11 | Cobourg '13 | Bluesfest '13 | Danforth Music Hall '15 | Kingston '15 | Bluesfest '15 | Toronto I '16 | Toronto II '16 | Toronto III '16 | Hamilton '16 | Ottawa '16 | Kingston '16
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by The Heron Outside »

thechubb44 wrote:What is the house music right before the show starts? I know that's vague. But I dig this song and have no idea what it is
Yea, anyone? Shazam obviously couldn't pick it up...
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
mark
Completist
Completist

Post by mark »

Moosehead wrote:Grace...

https://www.periscope.tv/cjokinen/1djGXXNbrQBGZ if anyone can't keep up :)
whoa
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

These are getting tougher to write. Really, my review is one line: "I am grateful to have been there and to have seen them again".

But, there were some highlights. Loved the acoustic-y sound on NOIS. A great different way to hear the song.

Really happy to get the NFPA tunes. We were wondering when they would play Transformation again, and I was happy to get it.

I always love Gems. Road Apples is the album (and year) I became a Hip fan, so all of the RA songs are way up there for me.

They could play Opiated every night, and I would be very very happy.

I chuckle everytime I watch the screen during Poets. Love the footage from the Japanese nightclub! Doesn't really go with the song, but is funny to watch.

The big Canada flag going around the back of the stage during the encore was pretty cool.

Loved how Gord ended the night: "We'll see you down the road sometime". Yes we will Gord. Yes, we will.

For now, I'll see you down the QEW in Hamilton on Tuesday! :lol:
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

There was a teenager in front of me that played NBA live Mobile for almost the whole concert. It wasn't until Daredevil did he stand up and watch the show.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

chancellor wrote:There was a teenager in front of me that played NBA live Mobile for almost the whole concert. It wasn't until Daredevil did he stand up and watch the show.
I bet he has a Kingston ticket.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
ashtrayrock
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ashtrayrock »

thanks for the setlist chris
another face value ticket. scored through the hip presale. lower level front of stage 2/3 way back
i didn't see any of the $30 posters for sale after the show. wonder if they will restock for hamilton
lots of $10 posters left. the hoodies for $75 are super nice. might have to get one.
$5 hip rolling papers...i sill have my THC ones
still hoping for more of a mix up during the MMP mini set
same as thompson girl and was happy to get some love for their last cd
still chasing WC and wats though
highlights from this show flamenco, gems, twist my arm and especially long time running and escape

1. Blow at High Dough
2. New Orleans is Sinking
3. Opiated
4. Boots or Hearts
5. Machine
6. What Blue
7. Ocean Next
8. In a World Possessed by the Human Mind
9. Streets Ahead
10. We Want to Be It
11. Man Machine Poem
12. At Transformation
13. Gift Shop
14. Flamenco
15. Springtime in Vienna
16. Ahead by a Century
17. The Last of the Unplucked Gems
18. Three Pistols
19. Twist My Arm
20. Long Time Running
21. Little Bones
22. Escape is at Hand for the Travellin' Man
23. Poets
24. Bobcaygeon
25. Daredevil
26. Grace Too
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

The Heron Outside wrote:
thechubb44 wrote:What is the house music right before the show starts? I know that's vague. But I dig this song and have no idea what it is
Yea, anyone? Shazam obviously couldn't pick it up...
Yeah! "Punkrocker" by Teddybears, with Iggy Pop.
cochise
Completist
Completist

Post by cochise »

What a great show. Our seats were laughably bad (310 standing room section), but it didn't matter where you were in the arena, the atmosphere was just electric. This was the first I have ever sat in the 300's for ANY concert at the ACC, but it was actually enjoyable seeing the mass crowd, and to hear the complete sing-a-long from above was pretty incredible.

The guys were spot on. Gord is definitely not as animated (and rightly so) and seemed to rely heavily on the teleprompter, but aside from that, this was "The Hip", no doubt about it and they crushed it. Gord's voice was spot on the entire night, probably the best I have heard it in years.

I think they lost a majority of the crowd for a bit by going right from the MMP set into the NFPA set. That was pretty much 8 songs in a row that left the "average fan" scratching their heads and heading to the bathroom. But for me, hearing "We Want To Be It" was a major highlight (and first "there's something in my eye" moment). Knowing the background of the NFPA material, and knowing its now Gord going through the same ordeal, was a very powerful moment. It didn't take long to get the crowd back though with the opening riff to Gift Shop. They had them for the remainder of the night as soon as that hit.

I wasn't sure if Gord flubbed the "that night in Toronto" line during Bobcaygeon, or was leaving it for the crowd to sing, but based on his reaction, it looked like he flubbed it. He kinda had a "f*ck me" smirk on his face. At least he seemed to laugh it off, which made it even better.

Also, as someone else pointed out, during Poets and the "bring out your dead" line, you could see him almost do it, then a bit of a smirk and finger wiggle saying no. Kind of a comical moment.

Grace was like none other I have ever seen live before. Would definitely place it as the best version I have ever seen/heard. True raw grit version with Gord holding nothing back on the vocals.

Gord is just an inspiration of epic proportions. If there is ever a time in life where you feel things just aren't fair, or feel its not going your way and discourages you, this is the guy to look up. He is showing the entire country how to face life head on and take it under your own terms. "Use it up, use it all up, don't save a thing for later" has never been more true than right now.

All in all just an incredible experience. Still hard to believe this was probably the last ever seeing them live, but if it is to end this way, what a way to end.
Last edited by cochise on Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

Four shows into the tour and I still can't get over how good every show's been. Last night's wasn't quite as good as Friday's, which was absolutely one of the best concerts I've ever seen, but it was pretty damn good. The Now for Plan A set was killer, and if you're keeping score there were 54 "drip"s last night (my personal record's still 61...yes, I count these things). And the Man Machine Poem songs are sounding better and better each night: they're really growing into the material, and "IAWPBTHM" has been the main beneficiary.

Couple other things:

- Gord flubbed "that night in Toronto," which was awesome
- Gord also said the words "next time we play here," which was the highlight of the entire tour as far as I'm concerned

I'm an over-the-top optimist...but the band that walked off last night didn't look like a band walking into its sunset. It looked like a working band about to finish its latest tour and then waiting to see what tomorrow brings. I still don't think they'll tour again, but I'm even more hopeful now that they'll keep doing one-offs as long as their health allows.