2016-07-30 - Edmonton, Alberta

daylight
Sherpa
Sherpa

Re: 2016-07-30 - Edmonton, Alberta

Post by daylight »

carebread wrote:I watched the whole thing and only heard maybe two lines that were messed up. I don't know what he's going on about.

Also I couldn't make out what he said.. anyone?
"You guys have had to put up with a lot of shit tonight, mostly from me." Or something to that effect.

Thursday was way better but Opiated, Daddy, and Springtime were nice.
nomadic
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by nomadic »

Coffee Girl -> Morning Moon -> Courage, was totally a highlight for me! My heart both swelled and broke throughout the night - I was teary eyed a few times. Bobcaygeon was particularly emotional. Much love always.
rockk62
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by rockk62 »

Get over yourselves and enjoy the final act folks.

The guy that spent three nights streaming shows for everyone and anyone is annoying because he's singing along, or cheering......what a sacrifice you guys suffered having to listen in live to something you wouldn't have witnessed any other way....

Set list gripes....really....get over it.....

Downie's performance nit picks...the man is sounding better than he has in a couple years....and the band has been solid as f**k.
paintedbynumbers
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by paintedbynumbers »

Gord shouldn't have been hard on himself. The lyrics he did mess up were from songs he hasn't performed in quite sometime. Morning Moon, Coffee Girl etc. The sets have been amazing thus far and each show keeps getting better and better. For anyone with a terminal disease to even perform is amazing in and of itself, but to do over 2 hrs every other night really is something epic.
daylight
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by daylight »

"Past whispers in the pissposts" was a fun gaffe.

I'm not sure how much of what Gord is saying and doing onstage is part of his schtick and how much of it is him legitimately dealing with his illness. It's a strange and sometimes awkward situation, but I'm glad I got to catch this tour regardless.
edgoffin
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by edgoffin »

daylight wrote:
carebread wrote:I watched the whole thing and only heard maybe two lines that were messed up. I don't know what he's going on about.

Also I couldn't make out what he said.. anyone?
"You guys have had to put up with a lot of shit tonight, mostly from me." .
Yeah that was it. This will sound a bit odd, but I have seen Gord mess up lyrics and timing for almost 30 years, and that is part of the charm. Cool to see the band get it back on the rails, and even on the periscope feed you could see Paul bring it back together on recluse. Gord's comments took me back to the stage diver "he was my man" rant from the ARA film.

Thanks for the feed if you are on this thread. Sound quality was amazing.
nautical
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by nautical »

"Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen for everything you gave us, for everything you gave us tonight: a little bit of understanding, for a lot of friendship, everything you gave us. Yeah, you sat through some shit, by me, I admit it. We love you tonight and we loved you 30 years ago when you were 6 people."
Earth
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Earth »

Yeah. I'm off key and annoying.
I guess the thing is I don't care. Cause it's my scope.
You can turn it off. So be my guest! Lol
Locked6
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Locked6 »

The set list was pretty predictable, I knew it would be IVL or WATS but I was surprised that didn't play Nautical yet again and ended with Bob. If they would have ended with fireworks it would have been a little better ending on a high note and the fireworks at Northland were going off as were were in the parking lot (so timing would have been perfect). However I am not complaining but surprised by the people hard on Gord for missing some lines, for about 99% of the crowd didn't even notice as it was really quite during WATS anyway and no one seemed to notice the possessed by the human mind lyric misses. I am not critical of GORD for a number of reasons mostly because he has a brain tumor, just had surgery, kemo and radiation. Another is we all have great days at work and some aren't as great. GORD was extra emotial tonight compared to Thursday, maybe it is his condition maybe his family left or arrived recently but something felt different with him. Gord and the tragically hip most resembled the Tragically Hip as we know and love them during Grace....the band was rocking and Gord was playing with the microphone for quite some time at the end. Paul, Gord S and Rob were just rocking out, Sinclair with his eyes closed (classic). Johnny was excellent and he looks like he weights 100 lbs (I don't think he has been this skinny and fit in a long time).

Any way I loved the show the crowd was much better than Thursday and my wife and I were convinced it was WATS tonight with 3/4 songs really though love is a first instead of moon. But we thought WATS was appropriate as that was where she was introduced to the hip and this was her 6th and last show.

So Calgary we probably get IVL and maybe Nautical??
stevewiebemusic
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by stevewiebemusic »

Earth wrote:Yeah. I'm off key and annoying.
From the bottom of my heart, thank you for the 'scopes! You're doing God's work, or should I say.. Gord's work.
sherpahigh
Completist
Completist

Post by sherpahigh »

:thumb:

I thought gord sounded great last night, couple missteps but that's pretty par for the course even at the best of times. Can't wait for tomorrow night. One and only show for me on this tour and I'm pumped.
VioletLite
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by VioletLite »

This. :thumb:
All I'm hearin' is youuuuuuuu
Triacc
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Triacc »

What kind of douche complains about Eric scoping?!? From the bottom of my heart thank you, Eric. Without your kind hearted gesture to even scope it out to us who weren't lucky enough to get tickets or in my case too poor to afford them I wouldn't have had the opportunity to feel like I was there. Great work and keep on!
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Exactly. You bought that ticket and it's your moment to be a fan, whether you're periscoping or not. The rest of us are living vicariously through you while you're doing this, so thank you!

:thumb:
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

nautical wrote:"Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen for everything you gave us, for everything you gave us tonight: a little bit of understanding, for a lot of friendship, everything you gave us. Yeah, you sat through some shit, by me, I admit it. We love you tonight and we loved you 30 years ago when you were 6 people."
This is so beautiful, and yet absolutely heartbreaking in equal measure. What a guy.