02/21/08: Brockville: Brockville Arts Centre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?
metronome
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by metronome »

I was in the centre floor section, near the front, and I just assumed everyone in the place was standing. It's the hip. I went to see Cochrane and Mellencamp a couple weeks ago and people were sitting when they had centre floor section seats. I was pissed. I can't stand when people sit at concerts. It really ruins the atmosphere for me. The only exception I make is if you're upper bowl at an arena, cause there really isn't much room to stand. It was really nice to see the hip in such an intimate venue. Kinda rounds off every type of venue for me: small outdoor, huge outdoor, medium outdoor, arena, and now small indoor :thumb:. See y'all in Kingston! :)
tina
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by tina »

I was standing beside the sweetest little girl who at beginning of the show was blown into tears... my first reaction too!! all those years ago :-)
Gordie brought his hankie over and tossed it to her...
beautiful moments...

tina
teemudog
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by teemudog »

Hey Tina,

I was just to the right of you in r-orch section. Saw that little girl, that was so cool especially Gordie tellling her mom to go home and wash it in cold water due to the flu going around...or something to that affect. Great time for her, Gordie made it so special.

JoAnn
patiodweller
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by patiodweller »

Best lines of the night:

"Here! No! Hereeeewhaeiee!! What was that? Did you year that? HEREEREEEEwhaeiee!!?!? There it is again! Sounds like.... It's sounds like victory."

"I don't swear as much as I used to. Bring your kids. BRING YOUR KIDS!!!!"

"Who said dorsal fin? Who! Was it you? You!? There is a dorsal fin and it's closing in, it's 6 feet tall. But you leave the worrying about dorsal fin to me!"

I also remember the crowd chanting "SWIM" at the end of NOIS, whihc Gordie initiated and it's should be common tradition now to have the SWIM chant at the end of NOIS.

Also, the new end of Courage was beyond kick ass.
Last edited by patiodweller on Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hammer
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Hammer »

colinjardine wrote:
Hammer wrote: There didn't seem to be too much going on out of the ordinary from Gordie, but I can't be too sure about that as I couldn't see 50% of the concert because of some guy jumping around infront of me and quite a few other people.

I don't have any issues with people standing up if everyone else is doing the same thing, but when you're the only person in the whole section standing up and you have 10+ people behind you of which you are blocking their view of the stage, that's just plain rude. True, you paid your money to go to the show and you are free to do whatever you want, but everyone else paid their money to hear and SEE The Hip, not hear The Hip and see YOU
Were you on the right hand balcony? I was on the left and most of our section stood the entire time, but the middle and right I couldn't tell, except for a few that I could see. I was 2 rows from the top, and still decent view of everything.
I was in the middle section. I noticed the left side was completely on their feet, and some of the right side was aswell... The middle section there was only 2 people for most of the show, and a 3rd near the end... The rest of the middle section stood up for some of the songs, but not all...

I would have had no problem standing through the whole thing, but didn't want to block the view of others behind me.

I didn't see any physical acts, but did see some people behind me, aswell as off to the left of me getting into it verbally with people infront of me lol. It really kind of put a damper on the show for myself.

I felt bad that my little bro never got to go to the show (seeing as how we're from NB and I moved to Ottawa lol) so I called him and let him listen for a song or two, surprisingly he said it came through really well on the phone lol.

I met Mark very very briefly on the way out (markslog i'm assuming?) Hopefully your audio/video comes out well. Before the concert my girlfriend asked what the mics were for and she was pretty excited when I told her what the setup was all about. Who was the guy speaking with you before the show Mark? (Paul Kicks Ass t-shirt) for some reason I feel like I recognize him.
Last edited by Hammer on Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patiodweller
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by patiodweller »

Does anybody have or know where it might be viewable to see pics from last night? In particular is there a pic anywhere of Godie taking the picture of the guys in the front row screwing the mic in or Gordie giving the mic stand to the old dancing guy up front?
patiodweller
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by patiodweller »

How bout there was a GO LEAFS GO chant out front after the show right after the LEAFS lost 5-1. Hmmmm..... I don't know what to make of that.
Hammer
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Hammer »

Hahahaha, wonder if they knew the Leafs lost at that point? Was kinda funny
Hammer
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Hammer »

patiodweller wrote:Does anybody have or know where it might be viewable to see pics from last night? In particular is there a pic anywhere of Godie taking the picture of the guys in the front row screwing the mic in or Gordie giving the mic stand to the old dancing guy up front?
I have a few and some video aswell... Quality isn't completely awesome, but i'll post whatever I can get uploaded that is atleast decently clear when I get a chance.
edgoffin
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by edgoffin »

patiodweller wrote:How bout there was a GO LEAFS GO chant out front after the show right after the LEAFS lost 5-1. Hmmmm..... I don't know what to make of that.
Leaf fans -- what can you do for the lost causes but just smile, pity them and walk on?
markslog
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by markslog »

Who was the guy speaking with you before the show Mark? (Paul Kicks Ass t-shirt) for some reason I feel like I recognize him.

That was Nick (nohochin) from California.
Dire Wolf
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Dire Wolf »

Great show. The band was very tight, even after not touring for 3 months. I have to disagree with the negative "Greatest Hits" comments. I'll gladly drive a few hours to see a 24-song set that includes Grace, Fiddler's, Poets, Nautical, 38 Years, Locked and Wheat Kings, any day of the week. They're "Great" for a reason. The band likes to play them and the fans love to hear them...at least the people around me did. There's no right or wrong here, I simply prefer to hear songs like this instead of weaker songs, just because they haven't been performed live for a long time. Just my opinion. I will say that I to could live without ever hearing Fireworks again, BUT will take Grace every night. On to Kingston...
"They're your blues, we just play 'em"
tthhead87
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by tthhead87 »

5 pm - me and three friends check into a one room motel style hotel room at the days in brockville
6 pm - hit the brock pub down the street from the venue - grab dinner and few brews
7:05pm - doors open, get my ticks, (find out im sitting 5th row, because i was on the guest list didnt know where the tickets would be)
7:05 - 8:15pm - pound back 4 more cold ones with the boys, and im fucking blown away by the venue, i pictured belleville but this was even better
8:20 (ithink) - the boys come out - and in gorddownian fashion, he sucks in the roaring applause from a hip hungry audience
8:20 - 10:20 - Although the show was the quintessential greatest hits setlist I've seen many a time, I couldnt be more happy to hear it and the boys (especially rob) sounded fucking mint - i think i heard the best ABAC ill ever here and trust me I'm one who is usually frustrated at hearing it every show... my friends who were front row centre switched seats with me for a few tracks and i got to see my favourite track off WC, World Container up close and personal and also fiddlers it was fucking moving man ... nice longish show for the hip these days, they left out a fire in the hole which was on the setlist my friend grabbed, but oh well, im sure ill hear that one in kingston
1030 - till 12 - hit the brock again pound back about 5 more with the boys and with a little bit of whiskey in the mix every few beers - i walk into the pub and they got up to here going, it was just epic, it couldnt have been a better vibe everyone was so nice
12:05 - fall asleep instantly on the floor of the hotel with my boys laughing at me while they kept rolling joints - i was pretty drunk i guess

GREAT SHOW - NUMBER 26 FOR ME - CANT WAIT FOR NUMBER 27

KINGSTON HERE I COME
Last edited by tthhead87 on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
colinjardine
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by colinjardine »

http://unb.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3 ... =534821185

Here's some of my pics from the back of the balcony. Some aren't so hot, but I haven't really gone through and picked out the best ones.
Dire Wolf
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Dire Wolf »

tthhead87 wrote: i think i heard the best ABAC ill ever here and trust me I'm one who is usually frustrated hearing it every show...
KINGSTON HERE I COME
Almost forgot about that. I was feeling the same way about ABAC, until I heard it in Rochester last November, with Rob switching to the electric mid-song. It really breathes new life into the song IMO.
"They're your blues, we just play 'em"