04/25/07: New York: Irving Plaza

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mastodonfarm
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mastodonfarm »

Wait, what!?! The boys played at the Garden? Amazing! Thanks for this Chris.
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by eatmecompletely »

Almost show time

where is the pre party eh!
Mikea
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Mikea »

Here's the setlist....awesome show, better set than last night.

In View
Music At Work
Grace, too
Ahead
Ocean
Courage
Bobcaygeon
World Container
100th
Boots or Hearts
Love (sic)
Locked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Scared
Lonely End
New Orleans

Escape Is At Hand
Magnif. Seven (Clash)
Fireworks

Off to AC
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by The Heron Outside »

Righteous show...Whatever I said about the Cons last night didn't apply...Das Hips owned tonight...The Cons were spotted watching the hip all night...Bobby sang back-up for the cover...Here's hoping Mav gets some of this footage up soon enough...
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
efisher99
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by efisher99 »

They also played Good Life after Grace and Family Band, I believe, after ABAC. But yes, excellent stuff start to finish. Behold the power that is Rink - much more forceful live and than on disc......
mcgraw68
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by mcgraw68 »

NIce version of Courage with the audience singing with Gord's encouragement ie holding the mic to the crowd.
He held the mic to us for the lyric and then pulled it back and was pretending to be dipping the mic in paint and making brush strokes on a canvas. How well the audience hit the lyric dictated how broad his stroke was. The man is wild.
Never saw him do that before.
cochise
Completist
Completist

Post by cochise »

mcgraw68 wrote:He held the mic to us for the lyric and then pulled it back and was pretending to be dipping the mic in paint and making brush strokes on a canvas. How well the audience hit the lyric dictated how broad his stroke was. The man is wild.
Is it just me or is Gord becoming even a better frontman than he already was? Or is that even possible?

His stage presence is exactly what music is about, it is exactly what it takes to be a great frontman. Gord ranks right up there with anyone else, Jagger, Morrison, Hutchins, and the list goes on. He is truly incredible.
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by eatmecompletely »

Great show tonight

Locked was sick!
Courage was amazing !
The cover was great and gord was really into it

Gord also wore Billy Rays hat at one point
mastodonfarm
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mastodonfarm »

What a great show! Every "up" song was a sing-a-long! Seemed like all the guys were in great spirits. The set list was def. a mix-up from the night before. Kicked the hell out of the cover, and so did the crowd! Gord coming after Johnny and humping his set was funny! Gord not busting his ass this time was nice. Escape was nice to hear.

I have to sit on this and figure out if this was like a top 3 show...

Thanks for the set list!
Mikea
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Mikea »

efisher99 wrote:They also played Good Life after Grace and Family Band, I believe, after ABAC. But yes, excellent stuff start to finish. Behold the power that is Rink - much more forceful live and than on disc......
Oops ....and I was 100% sober.
mintgreenbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mintgreenbird »

very very sic show! someone wlse from buffalo was there? i am new here but not to the hip... i flew down w/ my GF. he is now officialy a TH whore! she got gords mic stand, skanky sweat towels, and a drum stick over the 2 nites! we were right up front both night on the railing!
mcwslc
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by mcwslc »

cochise wrote:
mcgraw68 wrote:He held the mic to us for the lyric and then pulled it back and was pretending to be dipping the mic in paint and making brush strokes on a canvas. How well the audience hit the lyric dictated how broad his stroke was. The man is wild.
Is it just me or is Gord becoming even a better frontman than he already was? Or is that even possible?

His stage presence is exactly what music is about, it is exactly what it takes to be a great frontman. Gord ranks right up there with anyone else, Jagger, Morrison, Hutchins, and the list goes on. He is truly incredible.
Yes.

For years I wished Gord would go “nuts” on stage like he did when I saw them in ‘93. With each subsequent tour I was focused on how many “rare” songs they played, how many “rants” Gord delivered, and how “crazy” Gord behaved.

Without even realizing it things began to change on the IBE Tour. I found myself hoping they would play “Nashville” instead of hoping they would play “Lionized”.

I saw 2 shows last summer and nothing had changed, they were still on fire.

Then came the LA show last month. As Gord was paddling an imaginary canoe across the front of the stage I began to smile from ear to ear. Gord was a lunatic dancing freak who had the entire room in the palm of his hand. It wasn’t vintage 1993 behavior, it was new and fresh and ridiculously good. For the first time at a US concert it felt like the roles were reversed; instead of the Hip trying to win over the audience I got the impression the audience was lucky to be seeing the Hip. They had a certain confidence about them, kind of like, “Buckle your seatbelts, we’re going to kick your ass”.

And they did.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Here is a review I found that is not so flattering - but hey, they all can't be great:

Tragically Dipsh*ts
Posted April 25th, 2007 by ndifranco
http://www.navesinksolutions.com/phanto ... y-dipshts/

Just got back from seeing the Tragically Hip at Irving Plaza. I’ve never seen them before. Most likely, I will never see them again. They weren’t bad…the music was very good, the beats and riffs were rockin’. What sucked were:

The singer’s voice
The fucking fans
Seriously, the singer sounded like PiL-era Johnny Lydon, and the fans were the worst sort of fans: overgrown frat guys who couldn’t hold their beers. Honestly, it was like a whole bunch of 7th graders at their first concert, standing in packs, jumping up and down, crashing into other concert-goers, constantly pushing their way through their jumping crashing packs to throw their drunken arms around their drunken friends and sing four words of the current song before resuming the drunken crashing jumping behavior.

Honestly. What fuckfaces.

And here’s the worst part: they were Canadian WANNABES! No lie! They had on Leafs hats and Canada hockey sweaters, said “eh” and “fuckin’ a!,” and probably woke up this morning having a wet dream about ass fucking Dudley Do-right on the counter at Tim Hortons.

It was bad enough the singer’s voice and delivery captured the worst parts of Peter Garrett without any of the enlightening social commentary. I had to endure it while fending off Labbatt’s-soaked poseur Canucks. Fuckin’ A indeed.

Anyway, it’s late and my music adrenaline has been completely spent. Work tomorrow, and then work on the downstairs room. And no stupid-ass Habs
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

Who is Peter Garrett?
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

NegPhil wrote:Who is Peter Garrett?
Lead singer of Midnight Oil, and now a politician in Australia: http://www.petergarrett.com.au/