2004-11-19 - Calgary, AB - Pengrowth Saddledome

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

K-Town Lassie
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by K-Town Lassie »

CanuckCourage wrote:God Damn that was awesome !! Everytime I see them it get's better and better , the crowd was wicked...God damn , my ears are ringing and i'm pumped. Well they played some great stuff, Bobcaygeon, Ahead By a Century, Locked, 100th, Fully , Something On , Scared, Copenhagen, Springtime,Blow,Gus,Summers Killing Us, Everywhere... closed with Long Time Running and Little Bones..Just wicked!! I know i'm forgetting something..

C'mon! Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
CanuckCourage
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by CanuckCourage »

Hahaha, yeah and that was after I had 45 minutes to calm down. :mrgreen: I remember when they were into Bobcaygeon and I looked all around me, 365 degrees, and there were lighters lit everywhere, and thought this is the closest i've ever felt to a religious experience. Gave me goosebumps, just took in the whole atmosphere and the music. Funny thing too, I was so revved up when I got home, I checked ticketbastard to see if there were tickets left for the Sask show, and there were, I decided that maybe driving 8 hours one way might be a bad idea in an old car, anyways I sure was super psyched. :thumb:
commedimus
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Calgary filmed

Post by commedimus »

I Thought Friday's show was awesome. On a sour note, security didn't want to let me in with my camcorder. I tried half heartedly to ask to speak to a crew member but the security guy told me I had to check in my camcorder. I would go into more detail but if I think about it too much I get quite insensed(sic) as I have been waiting to film a Tragically Hip show for a few years now. At my last opportunity my camcorder broke down on the day of the show.
So anyway, I did check a camcorder in, but there is more than one way to skin a cat and so the show was filmed. If the person that shot some of the show can contact me, I would love to do a two cam. Anyone else that may have filmed the show, or any of the other shows on the tour, please let me know and we can trade.
my e-mail: [email protected]
sherpahigh
Completist
Completist

Post by sherpahigh »

CanuckCourage wrote:I decided that maybe driving 8 hours one way might be a bad idea in an old car, anyways I sure was super psyched. :thumb:
Nah... more like 6 or 5 1/2 if you're in a hurry. ;) Shoulda come for the show though, was a great one.

The Calgary show was pretty great in my opinion, only dampened slightly by some drunk morons right behind us. They crammed 4 people into a spot for 2 people and had no success in standing within what seemed like a 5 foot circle. Gotta lotta hands to the back of the head cause they were wailing around, super stoked about the music, just no control at all. The one girl was really apologetic which was ok I guess but then she'd go right back to pushing our chairs into the back of our legs and blah blah blah. Oh, and then during Bob C some random dopey girl with white stuff in the sides of her mouth appeared out of nowhere behind us and asked my buddy to lift her up. He said no, get outta here so then she asked me. Unreal. Eventually we were able to get her outta there and she eventually found some one willing to lift her up or at least atempt to a few rows up.

I don't recall the pink moon bit in ABAC though. Long time running was awsome. I've got a few pictures from the show that I'll post up here tonight or tomorrow.
Billy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Billy »

sherpahigh wrote:I don't recall the pink moon bit in ABAC though. Long time running was awsome. I've got a few pictures from the show that I'll post up here tonight or tomorrow.
Pink Moon was there alright. It's something I listen for every time I hear ABAC.

We were 3rd row floor, on the very right of the stage...the audiences right. I only saw one incident and it was security calling a few guys out to the sides to check their tickets and chat with them for a bit...nothing became of it and they returned to their spots. Saw a few drunk looking girls standing on chairs in the 4th row, around the middle of the floor, kinda wobbling as they stood and looking real slutty. I saw a guy right in front of me snapping all kinds of pictures and I meant to talk to him after the show but I forgot in all my excitement. I didn't see anyone recording but I understand a few people did...good work.
sherpahigh
Completist
Completist

Post by sherpahigh »

I forgot to mention how great Locked was. Definitly a highlight. :thumb:

As for missing the Pink moon bit.... I'm really pissed at that, I fully blame the jackasses behind me as I recall trying to reason with them during ABAC (one of many times) I'll have to get a copy of the show to hear it again.
CanuckCourage
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by CanuckCourage »

sherpahigh wrote:
CanuckCourage wrote:I decided that maybe driving 8 hours one way might be a bad idea in an old car, anyways I sure was super psyched. :thumb:
Nah... more like 6 or 5 1/2 if you're in a hurry. ;) Shoulda come for the show though, was a great one.
That's exactly what I didn't wanna hear. :cry: :P I really was thinking about doing it , now i'm regretting it , damn !! I shouldn't complain, that show in the dome was awesome, as was The Whiskey, right at the front of the stage, must stay positive .. :what
sherpahigh
Completist
Completist

Post by sherpahigh »

Here's a couple pictures I took from the 9th row. Nothing that great here either unfortunately. I've gotta ways to go with the lowlight pictures:

Billy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Billy »

Real nice pictures.
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

Those pictures aren't as bad as you say. Thanks for posting.
aaronck
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

finally...

Post by aaronck »

I've been too busy then sick to be able to chime in on a great show.
I thought Gord was really on, as was the rest of the band. Seemed to be really into it which was great. I liked the setlist, although I thought Edmonton might have been better.
Crowd around me seemed really into it, but with those seats how could you not be? Hi to Billy, I never got to say hi other than getting by you to go to the can(I was wearing the white hip jersey and apologising). On the other side I was entertained by big drunk guy wearing a purple hip jersey who kept spilling his beer. I saw no problems other than a female security guard who tried to decapitate a poor girl for trying to flash her boobies (is this a crime now?) and a lot of reefer smoke, which for the first time was a lot thicker than cigarette smoke (which one is a crime again?)
The show had a great finish, with long time running and Bones, although I thought they should've swapped out Copenhagen for pretty much anything else, a new song during an encore is sort of anticlimactic, a slower one even more so.
Douglas
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Douglas »

Locked was the greatest thing I have ever seen. A close second was Gords rap in the middle of 100th Meridian. Amazing, amazing night!
mccreadm
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by mccreadm »

Long time lurker, first time poster.

"Tell the world... tell the world how you keep the Bow River so clean. Goodnight"
I was in a box stage left about the blue line with a group of uninitiated Hip fans. Amazing.
gonzocanuck
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by gonzocanuck »

First time poster, long time Hip fan :-)

The Calgary show was my first Hip concert, and I hope to see them again sometime. We saw REM two days beforehand, and I was surprised that the crowd seemed so unexcited. The guy next to me sat through the whole concert with his hands on his knees! On the other hand, the Hip audience was so infectious and great. I loved how everyone was screaming the words. Next time I'll get better seats...my brother and I were stuck up way high, whereas my husband had managed to get us club seats for REM. It was darn weird how I felt the concrete bounce under my feet!