2004-11-28 - Ottawa, ON - Civic Centre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-11-28 - Ottawa, ON - Civic Centre

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

It was short but spectacular! ...and trust me: I KNOW short and spectacular... alright, alright: I know short.

Anyway, First up, as the kids would say: big groovy ups (I obviously have no idea what the kids are saying) to Shannon for scoring us second row seats... and to Ricky Wellington for PERSONALLY UPGRADING US TO FRONT ROW! It was great, I think Shannon even has some shots of the back of my bald head up front! Always nice to see the little stuff like Sinclair winking at Gord and Paul busting out into little bursts of laughter at Gord's antics. And boy was the G-man ON tonight!

Boots, VAPOUR TRAILS!! and I'm a happy guy. Got to meet some fellow Hipbasers, and everybody seemed to have a great time.

Gord also enlightened me during New O by ranting about NAFTA... even taking the time to point and say it after the "do what ya feel" lyric. All of a sudden the "Hey North!" lyric makes perfect sense!

Oh, and got to introduce a whole new bunch of strangers to the one reason they can NEVER, ever take New O out of the set... a BIG... LONG... GROUP... SCREAM... OF "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Place was about 3/4 full, but we had it rock'n, nothing like Hip fans! Can't wait to get to The Hammer!

A helluva show, can't wait to download 'er on Friday!
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Mr. Lahey »

Anybody have the setlist? I'm anxious to see what the came up with after a hit-filled ACC show and a very interesting London show.
kgray
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by kgray »

No guarantees for accuracy or order but:

Vaccination
Grace
Poets
Makeshift
Fireworks
Ahead by a Century
Music at Work
NOIS
100th
Vapour Trails
Nashville
Good Life
Are we family
Courage
Gus
Blow at High Dough
Little Bones

...there was more, can't quite think of them.
ShannonW
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ShannonW »

Mr. Lahey wrote:Anybody have the setlist? I'm anxious to see what the came up with after a hit-filled ACC show and a very interesting London show.
I don't remember the setlist at ALL... songs I do remember (in no order at all)

little bones
boots or hearts
springtime
nois
vapour trails
blow
family
grace
good life
vaccination scar
summer
courage
meridian
m@w
poets
ABAC
gift shop
makeshift....
etc.

alright. that's all I remember. There were more and they were all great!

Gord was great tonight. I was a little worried they'd alck energy since it was the third night in a row, but he was great! I brought a friend to his first show, so I was glad they were on. Gord had some funny rants during poets and meridian. They were hilarious.

Also, it was great to meet up with some hipbasers and other crazy fans that were in our row. My night was made when I found out our second row was actually first row so this show had it made from the beginning. Our section was hardcore! We won the crazy fans award for sure.

I saw 2 cameras filming the show as well. I'm glad this is going to be a live series... the rants alone are worth the money, not to mention Vapour Trails and Boots and Family... it was amazing! I'll post some pictures soon. I'm just uploading them now. :thumb:
exnihilio
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by exnihilio »

Gord's mic stand crotch warp hadta be one of my favourite Hip show highlights ever.

2nd was the case of the missing mic so Gord simply proceeded to scream at the stand anyways and later tiger punced on the hapless mic laying on the stage.

Lotsa fun!
A FAAARRRR cry from when I saw them at the Corel centre several years ago. Civic centre is about a million times better venue for the Hip and Gord's rants than that echoey rink in a cornfield.

Boot or Hearts was certainly a treat.
I'll wait for the setlist for further comments since I'm too old to remember what room of the house I'm even in ;)

ex out

Oh...little p.s. Joel Plaskett Emergency were *really* friggin' good! Dug him very muchly as, obviously, does Gord as he repeated to us at the end of the main set and the first encore about how pleased they were with their openers. Joel Plaskett Emergency is definately worth checking out!
SRK
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by SRK »

As I recall:

1. Vaccination scar
2. Grace too
3. fireworks
(and here's where the order gets tricky, they're all there though)
4. As makeshift as we are
5. Giftshop
6. Courage
7. Ahead by a century
8. Summer's killing us
9. It's a good life
10. Vapour trails
11. Poets
12. Are we family?
13. At the hundredth meridian
14. It can't be nashville every night
15. My music at work
16. New Orleans is sinking
encore
17. Gus: the polar bear from central park
18. boots ot hearts
19. Blow at high dough
encore # 2
20. Heaven is a better place today
21. Springtime in vienna
22. Little bones

Once again, no locked for me. Sinclair hates me. (This is what happens when you caddy for him and forget to stop driving the cart while he's on his backswing. It was 1994 and the bastard *still* holds a grudge.)
ShannonW
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ShannonW »

Here are my pics from the show... nothing special really, but Gord on the mic stand is pretty decent :)

http://photobucket.com/albums/v512/Shan ... %20Ottawa/
LIVELOVEtheHIP
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by LIVELOVEtheHIP »

Those are fantastic pictures! I wish I could have been there....

Thanks for posting them (even though it does make me very jealous...!!)
Cheers!
bomber18
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by bomber18 »

Great, great venue. Small and acoustics were great. That missing mic thing was hilarious. And the ABAC call for the girls was jokes...sounded like a backstreet boys concert when they all cheered. Highlight on the side were those two girls dancing away on the right side of the floors.
Montreal, here I come!
dasauce
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by dasauce »

hammed..killer show..no doubt the 2nd roow bump was SPECTATACTUlAR...vapour still floatin away...and not so new to NOOOOOOOOOOO...but nice to meet YA,..killer show....VAOUR WHAT??? I got some pics but not near as any i thoiught i would being second row...bu then its first row and and you lose it...then why didnbt i take more pictures..cause i was hammered.

hope everone enjoyed as much as ME!!

FAT FINGETRS

DA SAUVCE!
dasauce
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by dasauce »

....but this was it...
dasauce
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by dasauce »

ok when i learn how to post a pic..that'l be it.
wpghipfan
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by wpghipfan »

From the Ottawa Sun:
Monday, November 29, 2004

Tragically delicious!
Band rocks like no other
By DENIS ARMSTRONG -- Ottawa Sun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TRAGICALLY HIP
Civic Centre, Ottawa
Sunday, November 28, 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OTTAWA -- The Tragically Hip and Joel Plaskett should have been greater than the sum of their parts.

But in the end, the Hip didn't need anyone else to be great. After sweeping through the U.S. with retro-rock phenom Sam Roberts a couple of weeks ago, the boys from Kingston were back at work last night with another hot retro-rocket in Plaskett.

For the casual Hip fan, such as myself, this pairing was a big selling point.

After all, even the most loyal Hipster would admit that three trips to Ottawa in the last month, including the BEAR's 25th anniversary party, the Grey Cup halftime show and a Blues Festival gig with 30,000 people attending, was pushing the limit of how much even the biggest Hip fan could take.

But I was wrong.

For as good as Plaskett is, this audience of more than 5,000 came only for the Hip, thank you very much. It didn't matter how many accolades had gone out to Plaskett, the Halifax songwriter whose Emergency release was on every critic's best-of list in 2003.

NO.1 WITH FANS

The Hip fan has ears only for their favourite band. So regardless of who the Hip are paired with, they weren't going to leave any doubt about who the headlining band was.

Last night's gig was as tight and ferocious a set as I've ever seen, right up there on my best-concerts-ever list.

Maybe better, thanks to Gord Downie, who often seemed possessed by the chicken-stepping ghost of George Clinton as he strutted across the stage or perched on a microphone stand while his bandmates Bob Baker, Paul Langlois, Gord Sinclair and Johnny Fay boogied on intensely in the background.

There was another side to Downie, the passionate political performer I'd heard so much about, with a sharp-forked tongue reminiscent of Sex Pistol Johnny Rotten. This was no ordinary "Hello Chicago, how are you doin' tonight," concert.

This was a rally, a call to cultural arms.

CANADIAN IMAGES

Swamped in brilliant indigo lights and backdropped by dazzling computer-generated graphics of iconic Canadian images that would make Don Cherry weep with pride, the Canuck band opened with the first single from their In Between Evolution album, titled Vaccination Scar, on which Downie introduced claiming "Let's make this a party, a dance/protest party," a snarky reference to U.S. President George W. Bush's Ottawa layover tomorrow.

Then for more than two hours, including three encores, the band performed Vapour Trails, Fireworks, Courage, New Orleans is Sinking, 100th Meridian, Are We Family, As Makeshift as We Are and Poets among a 17-song set list with vein-popping intensity.

Last night, Downie's famously poetic and political gravitas, which usually left me befuddled, worked brilliantly in this intensely physical performance.

The closest Downie came to playing the conventional rock frontman was when he introduced Ahead By A Century, "This is for the girls," the sweet talker deadpanned.

It was as if nothing was safe from his satirical barbs, including himself, as Canadian rock's poster boy.

At the end of the gig, Downie thanked the house, urging the fans to "win your lakes and rivers back," then he thanked the frenzied mob, "It was our pleasure."

No, it was ours.

-----------------------------------
Rory
Halifax
Kim
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by Kim »

From thehip.com:

Monday, November 29, 2004
Setlist -Civic Center, Ottawa, ON Nov 28, 2004
***NOTE: THIS SHOW WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD IN ABOUT A WEEK. GO TO: http://www.livedownloads.com/tthip

Vaccination Scar
Grace, Too
Fireworks
Gift Shop
As Makeshift As We Are
Ahead By A Century
Summer's Killing Us
Courage
It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
Vapour Trails
Poets
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night